traveler upgrade in progress

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
astrorad

traveler upgrade in progress

Post by astrorad »

I had originally thought I would try to upgrade the OEM traveler car...I have abandoned that idea. I found a very good deal on the Harken website in the Clearance items. I purchased a 27mm Non-CB traveler car with forged shackle for $52 instead of the $165 price tag. I sent an inquiry email to Harken tech service and found out that the Non-CB cars will fit perfectly on the new style CB track. CB stands for contained bearings. I purchased a 1.2 meter low profile 27mm CB track for $88 and will have to mount it on top of the existing OEM track with some spacers to keep it level instead of curved like the OEM track.
I have the Harken 29 mm blocks that came with my boat, two with beckets that are now mounted on the coaming sides with pad eyes. I plan on attaching an aluminum plate to the new car's shackle, with center and end holes to attach the main sheet and two single blocks. This will give 2:1 purchase and a super strong and smooth traveler. The 27mm track and car is designed for boats larger that the C22, but at a total cost of just under $150 dollars it was more than attractive.
Last year Capt. Bondo posted his traveler upgrade and it inspired me to work on mine. He was using 2:1 purchase and he seemed to think it was adequate.
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

My first C22 had an upgraded traveler! I loved it!
I bet you will love it also!

:D

Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I know that the OEM traveler was pretty much useless as it was. The rollers were lousy and even though it was set up with blocks and cleats I would not trust it to function properly. I also would not trust that the rollers would not crumble under the strain. The cost for a complete new Harken set up was somewhat cost prohibitive, but the turning blocks are in very good shape so that was a cost saving. I may have to replace one of the cam cleats but that is not too expensive.
I will say that all the Harken hardware on the boat has stood the test of time well, whereas the Shaefer blocks did not.
Bill