new member seeks advice

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mtboat

new member seeks advice

Post by mtboat »

Hello all. I just joined minutes ago. A little about myself... Home is Flathead Lake Montana. I have been boat less for a couple of years, and am now looking at several boats, Flathead is a big lake but I would like to get on some of the smaller lakes as well, so I have been looking at swing keels. I lived aboard here for 4 years.
I showed up here to pick some brains and get opinions, because I am thinking of a Chrysler 26 for sale just down the road. If any one would look at the ad and photos, and throw 2 cents worth in, I would be very grateful. I know the owner is moving to the Keys.
I couldn't find much about these boats, I am a member over at Sailnet, and hoped to do a little better over here.
My ultimate goal being to sail here three seasons, and drive it down to Lake Powell for three months in winter. Thanks, Halpine.

http://kalispell.craigslist.org/boa/5254396334.html
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I'm not sure what he's including and what the price was. Boat is on a trailer without keel and keel pin in one pic; you can't remove the keel with the boat on the trailer, so why was it put back on the trailer without the keel re-installed ? Also no mention of mast, sails, rudder, etc. A nice set of sails could set you back $3000 of the $4000 investment he mentions by themselves ! And a good 10hp four stroke long shaft is $3000 I think..

Almost looks like he's selling a trailer and an unusable hull with no keel and mast for $1000 ?

Maybe its all there and the ad is unclear..
mtboat

Snooze and lose.

Post by mtboat »

Well, he slid the boat back off the trailer and supported it, and removed the keel to inspect. All hardware, rigging, boom,mast, traveler, main and jib were included.
$1000 dollars. I just called him and he said it is probably sold today. If it is still up for sale in two days I will get it. If not, it's back on the hunt for a big inside, swing keel boat. I did however learn a little about Chrysler boats here from documents, and as I became informed I became impressed.
I will definitely consider one when I see one for sale. Happy sails to you.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

They are a great boat ! Good Luck in the search
Kenr74

Post by Kenr74 »

She looks rough, but if the keel, rigging, and sails are complete, I would jump on it. I think he is right that it needs more work than $. The interior can be cleaned up, and the bottom painted without a tremendous investment. Old boats are tons of work, but tons of fun as well. The photos of the trailer aren't great, but if it is in decent shape, the trailer is easily worth $1,000. I ended up buying a powerboat on a trailer to get the trailer for my 26. I got a deal on a great trailer, but if that had not come along I was looking at easily $2,000, to $3,000 for one. Of course the market is limited so it is not like money in the bank, but still worth something. Used outboards can be found with a bit of searching, usually the best deals are coupled with a derelict boat someone is trying to get rid of. Good luck finding the right boat.
mtboat

still for sale

Post by mtboat »

Thanks, the trailer is decent. He has not put the keel back in, but swears it is all good . The price is lowered to $750.00. I am going to go look at it.
monty

Post by monty »

take a good look at the keel trunk, looks like something's going on there. check for cracking at rear of trunk indicating a dropped keel - repairable.
looks like the sole has been opened up into the bilge.
keel weighs 900lb., can be awkward to move around

can't expect much for $750., if it was closer I'd go for it myself but $1000. in fuel is too much.
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490