water in the boat

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
MichiganBill

water in the boat

Post by MichiganBill »

I've had my C22 for a week. After I got her home I pumped about 15 gallons of water out. Now, even after a week, there is at least a cup or two of water showing up every day. I dry it out, then it re-appears.

The prior owner mentioned having it in the water all summer. I imagine it had water in it all summer. Perhaps water is slowly leaching out of the flotation?

I took a leaf blower and put the nozzle in an opening to the floatation chamber. I was hoping a little positive pressure would help push the water out. Nothing significant resulted.

Any suggestions for helping to dry her out?
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

My boat had a little water saturated in the starboard foam flotation...approximately 5 or 6 inches near the bottom. I knew this because I removed the metal hole closers all along the starboard side and used a 1/2 inch electrical conduit to remove core samples at various points. I then inserted a wood dowel as a moisture gauge. I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the side of the starboard settee near the floor. water would seep out slowly over a few days. It took about three years before all the moisture finally evaporated. of course you have to stop the ingress of water into the foam to make this happen.
Bill
MichiganBill

Post by MichiganBill »

Sometimes it takes me a while to see the obvious. I should remove all of the metal caps as a start.

Thanks Bill for the perspective. I'm amazed at the three years - but I'll work on patience with the project.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

If you want to remove a core of the foam thru one of the holes under the metal caps, you can use 1/2 inch thinwall electrical conduit also known as EMT...electrical metallic tubing. Cut it long enough to reach the bottom of the foam with some left above to grip with a channel lock pliers. Take a small file like a knife edge file or half round type and file some teeth into the end to act as a cutter. Some spots you will not be able to use the conduit because of lack of overhead clearance. I only made about three core holes. The most important hole is the one near the middle of the boat. The foam is the thickest there and it is the natural low spot where water usually collects.
I tried a wet vac with a conduit attached to it, but that really didn't do to much in my case. Get a wood dowel that is close to the size of your core hole and insert it into the hole, pressing it against the side so it contacts the foam. You will be able to gauge the level of saturation that way.
After I was sure the foam was mostly dried out I removed all the metal caps, as they were mostly rusted any way. I replaced them with plastic snap in hole closers purchased at the local True Value hardware store. They worked beautifully.
Bill