New stanchions backing plates for C26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jarroyo

New stanchions backing plates for C26

Post by jarroyo »

Hi all:

When I bought my C26 had the stanchions removed. I am in the process of installing new ones. The dimensions of the stanchion base is 3 3/4" long x 2 3/4" width x 1/8" thickness.

I am considering installing backing plates for the stanchion bases. I am planning to get them built at a precision shop.

As for the transom area, I am also considering having them built for the cleats and the backstay bases.

What should be the dimensions for the backing plates? Does anyone have a suggestion on the dimensions? (long, width and thickness)

Thanks.
s/v Guaitiao
1977 Chrysler 26
Reality

Post by Reality »

I just used some 1/4 inch thick aluminum stock from the hardware store to make plates about 3" x 5". Cut the pieces with a hack saw, mark the holes and drill. Total cost about $10 & easy to do. No need for stainless (IMO)
jarroyo

Post by jarroyo »

Thanks for your input... I searched yesterday after work to read about backing plates. Haven't done so, but I'll do...

I also had the chance to see astrorad's videos about stanchion bases and transom repair and he used 3"x5" thick aluminum for his backing plates. I think his were 1/8" thick. He has a C22, but I am pretty sure this is standard hardware.

So, in all, I think I can save some money and go with aluminum backing plates. :)
s/v Guaitiao
1977 Chrysler 26
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I went down this road and I decided to put the job off...

if you research backing plates on the net... the various sailing sites pretty much insist that you must bed these plates in thickened epoxy mix and they have all kinds of load calculations as to how big, how thick and what shape to make these plates.... It made me dizzy.. One thing I got out of it ... they don't like fender washers and doing it wrong is worse that not doing it at all...

Sooooo.... I was happy to just not do anything at all !!! ; )
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
jarroyo

Post by jarroyo »

For those of you interested, this article from practical sailor covers everything about stanchion bases:

http://www.practical-sailor.com/news/Mo ... 440-1.html

I will document my work and share my experiences later.
s/v Guaitiao
1977 Chrysler 26
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Pictures too!

Thanks!
Scott
Reality

Post by Reality »

I figured my 3x5 inch aluminum backing plates were hundreds times better than the quarter size washers installed by factory. The factory washers sufficed for 30 years with only minor cracking, so I think "bedding" would be major overkill. On my C22 none of the backing plates were on seams or uneven surfaces (problem indicated in article referenced). good luck
MaverickSailing

Post by MaverickSailing »

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out as I'm in the process of filling all the stanchion holes in on my boat. They had been a major reason for all the water that was in the boat.

Just curious how it has been sailing her without the stanchions and life lines.
Maverick Sailing
Chrysler C26
jarroyo

Post by jarroyo »

MaverickSailing wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out as I'm in the process of filling all the stanchion holes in on my boat. They had been a major reason for all the water that was in the boat.

Just curious how it has been sailing her without the stanchions and life lines.
In my case, the previous owner removed the stanchions. Main reason was the stanchions were on the way and make it difficult to move around the boat. I think he had a point but, he did a really poor job sealing the stanchion base holes. So in all, the boat ended up with water inside the cabin and some soft spots in the hull...

My reason to reinstall the stanchions are mostly for security. I have kids and although they can swim I don't want them overboard... :)

The stanchions and lifelines can also give you the added benefit to hang ropes, fenders, attach a hatch tent and so on...

I sailed the boat for a few times before I started working on it. Since the beam for this boat is quite small I feel more safe having them installed.
s/v Guaitiao
1977 Chrysler 26