I found a Chrysler sailboat!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Gentry

I found a Chrysler sailboat!

Post by Gentry »

Hello all! I bought a house and the previous owner left a 13 foot Chrysler sailboat in the back yard. After a bit of power washing it turns out to be in great shape.
The only labels I find on the boat are the serial number, a molded in number under the serial number plate and the word Chrysler on the side. Is there a way to tell the model from those two numbers?

Also, I didn't find any rigging, mast, rudder, boom or sails. There are brackets for what looks like a tripod style stay system. Is there a place to buy the mast step bracket, mast, boom, rudder, ect?

Anyway, it looks like a great sailing boat and I'd love to get it back into the water. Corpus Christi bay is waiting? ;)
Gentry

Post by Gentry »

Model number 373HA46461
Hull number CBC4646IM77F
Made in Plano Texas
Kenr74

Post by Kenr74 »

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info, and helpful folks here. I am a recently new owner of a Chrysler 26, so I don't have any specific info for your boat. As to buying parts, I doubt there is anywhere to buy direct replacements. What I would recommend is finding the original measurements (there are lots of original documents on this site). Then look around for something similar. You might find a similar size boat being parted out on e-bay or Craigslist, and be able to get parts you need. I bought my C-26 for $280! Good luck, and hopefully someone with more specific info will chime in.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Gentry...you should post your questions under the Daysailors topic heading. You will get a better response there most likely.
Bill
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Gentry...go to this link and look at the documents...you probably have a Barracuda or Pirateer.
Bill
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Last two digits tend to be the model year.

Scott
Gentry

Post by Gentry »

Thanks for your responses. It appears I have the hull of a privateer. I thought i might just sell the tub but my eight year old wants to learn how to sail. So I'm going to fab the all the standing rigging and buy the rest.

I'm really surprised at the shape the hull is in. It seems like someone unscrewed all everything and stored it. This thing looks like a great sailer for a dad and son so, wish me luck on the build.
Reality

Post by Reality »

If it's been siting outside with fittings removed it may be water logged in the wood between the inner/outer fiberglass from water penetration at the fitting screw holes. I'd place it in a garage in a position so the fitting holes that were exposed are lowest and see if gravity produces water drops out those holes. I'd let it sit like this for a week as a test. If the core between the fiberglass is saturated and rotten I wouldn't start this as a project. A saturated/rotten core may be the reason this was stripped. Good luck.