Chrysler 26 HID 348DJ30478

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jarroyo

Chrysler 26 HID 348DJ30478

Post by jarroyo »

Hi all:
I am in the process of painting my boat. I checked my HID plate and is very faded. For what I can read it says 348DJ30478. From my USCG nautical course I learned the HID is 12 digits, starting with the MIC.

So I have only 10 digits and don't know how to decode it... If I go backwards.
0478 - Date of construction is April 1978 . When I bought the boat the previous owner told me it was 1976 C26.

48DJ3 - Serial number. When searching your post I haven't seen any serial number like that.

XX3 - I would end up with just 1 number.

Can somebody help me figuring this out?
s/v Guaitiao
1977 Chrysler 26
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Does the number you are looking at start with "CBC" ? If not then that's not the HIN since CBC is the MIC for a Chrysler

(or actually "was" since now CBC seems to be assigned to Cherokee Boat Company)
jarroyo

Post by jarroyo »

From what I've read, I know it should... but mine doesn't have it. It only displays those characters.

Here is the photo...

Link (just in case): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwtPF ... authuser=0

Thanks!
s/v Guaitiao
1977 Chrysler 26
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

That may be the Chrysler Model/Serial number info plaque; I think the HIN should be in the same area, but look more like its engraved/stamped in to the transom. I'll have to check EE when I get home to be sure.
jarroyo

Post by jarroyo »

Thanks for the answer. Great info... so, the boat has two plaques?

Could someone care to upload a photo? I just want to know what it looks like. My boat is an hour drive away from home. So, I would like to know and be certain what and where I will be looking. :wink:

Thanks!
s/v Guaitiao
1977 Chrysler 26
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Probably not a good idea to upload a pic of the HIN to the web, no telling where it might wind up being used ! I had a friend who found out his boat reg numbers had been appropriated, and the boat was involved in an accident ! They came looking for him by mistake..

I'll get you the location in relation to the plaque you already found tho...no problem there.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

The HIN should be right above where your finger is in the pic, right under that plaque. It is embossed into the hull, so perhaps it was painted over and filled in
Kenr74

Post by Kenr74 »

Here is another photo for reference:
jarroyo

Post by jarroyo »

Thank you very much guys. That's a great reference.

And, as for the HID number you are right. It is like showing your SSN on the internet. You wouldn't know who and how it could be used.

One last question, This Chrysler Model/Serial Number. What is it for? Does it have any use for the boat owner? Is there any other place in the boat you might find that Serial number?

Thanks!
s/v Guaitiao
1977 Chrysler 26
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Seems like I recall a discussion on the Chrysler powerboat group about the model and serial numbers, and that the serial numbers were somewhat random, and not related to the type boat per se.

Like the sail numbers. I've read that they just grabbed a sail from the stack and put it on the boat when ready to roll it out...
jarroyo

Post by jarroyo »

Read that too in the forum while searching... I will search, write and ask for advice once I am prepared to work on my boat's sails. 8) :wink:

BTW, This is a great forum! With lots and lots of information.
s/v Guaitiao
1977 Chrysler 26
jarroyo

Post by jarroyo »

This weekend while working on the boat spend a couple of minutes of sanding and yes... it was there!

There are some thick layers of paint... And it is "somewhat" visible. After sanding it started to disappeared, so I stopped sanding. I then used acetone and then used some thinner. I was able to read it more clearly... I also noted that the serial number part matches part of the numbers on the plaque.

I want to try to have it as clear and visible as possible. I am a little worried that sanding will erase the HIN. I was thinking using some chemical (Paint remover) to wipe of those layers of paint.

What product do you recommend? Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.
s/v Guaitiao
1977 Chrysler 26
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

"Back To Nature" makes a paint remover sold under the name "Aqua Strip" at West Marine. You also can find it at some hardware stores under a similar name at a better price. I read the MSDS on each and found no real difference, other than the color of the Goop...

I used to strip paint off a Cal21 and it was very good to work with, but your results may depend on what the boat was painted with.
jarroyo

Post by jarroyo »

Thanks for the tip on the paint remover. I will work as gentle as possible to have that paint removed.

One thing I wanted to share...

When I bought the boat the previous owner told me it was a Chrysler 1976. But when I came across with my HID number it ends in M77L. From the boatsafe.com website I was able to decipher that my boat's date of certification is July 1977. So I guess the previous owner was wrong. Is that so, right?
s/v Guaitiao
1977 Chrysler 26
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Looks like its a 77 then..