Swing Keel Depth in Up Position

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
El Jefe

Swing Keel Depth in Up Position

Post by El Jefe »

Hello, I'm a new member here and a new C22 owner. I am putting together a trailer and I'm having a problem finding some information. Can anybody tell me how far below the hull the swing keel on a C22 protrudes when stowed in the up position? Any input also on trailering this boat would also be welcomed. Thank you in advance.
C22 Sandpiper "Miss Marian"
17' McKee Craft Johnson 140 "Bad Monkey Fighter"
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome Aboard !

Check these two threads from Alanhod for some info; from them it appears the answer is 12" - unfortunately the links to Alan's pics are dead..see the post dated May 22, 2010 on this one

http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... hth+height

Also some details (but no pics) at
http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... hth+height
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Thank you for the information and the warm welcome. I have really enjoyed all the great information and interesting people here. Looking forward to being a Chrysler Sailor!
MaverickSailing

Post by MaverickSailing »

While I can't help with that information, I would like to welcome you to the forum.
Maverick Sailing
Chrysler C26
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

i just went out and measured the swing keel. Mine is resting on the support on the trailer. It measures 16 inches to the bottom of the hull. It can be cranked up about two inches or so...that would make it 13 or 14 inches to the bottom.
Bill
El Jefe

Thank you.

Post by El Jefe »

I'm wrapping the trailer mod's up today and leaving for New Bern, NC to pick her up tomorrow morning. At the closest point I have 14 ". I hope it's enough because It's all welded in and would be a pain to change now. I figured I would let it down to rest on the frame (with plywood dunnage) when it was loaded. I'll post some photos of tomorrow if I make it back home. Haha! Thank you again!
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

How high up you can crank the keel depends on how the cable was made up that attaches to it. As long as the crimped on cable clamp is nice and close to the end loop you should be ok. I rest my keel on the trailer frame in the V that was made for that purpose. Good Luck and do post pics for us to see.
Bill