Sailing update . . .

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sailing update . . .

Post by CaptainScott »

Sailing update!

Diane and I were treated to a wedding invite in the San Juan Islands this last weekend! Our good boating friends decided to tie the knot!
So Thursday evening while I did the brakes on our daughters Super Beetle, Diane hauled all our stuff up to Destiny.

First thing Friday, we picked up Mike, a friend staying aboard with us, and headed for Destiny. The weather was SPECTACULAR! The currents were even better! We road an ebb tide All the way from Everett, through Admiralty Inlet, and into the Straights of Juan de Fuca! In the straights we had slack tides for the crossing and as we approached Center Channel, we had a flood tide pushing us all the way to Friday Harbor! Our max speed over ground was an amazing 12.4 knots! Now Destiny cruises nicely at 7.5 but OMG! 12+ knots in dead flat seas! NICE!

We took our reserved slip next to "Whisky Girl" and 1 over from "Coyote Blue". We walked all over town had dinner at a great little pub, and retired back to Destiny for an evening of relaxed conversation! Saturday we awoke to another beautiful sunny day and great friends! Mid day we had an extremely nice personal wedding ceremony, outdoors overlooking the harbor! Back to the pub for drinks and calibration, then to the restaurant for a great meal! I had Sheppard's Pie and Poutine! All at the table shared the poutine as it arrived as a much bigger portion than I expected!

Back to the boats for an evening of sharing stories and celebrating the occasion.

Sunday morning was yet again fantastic! Due to tides and currents I opted to go through Deception Pass and inside Whidbey Island. We had to leave the dock by 9:00 am to make slack tide at Deception Pass. However our company was so great we could not slip the dock lines until after 10:00! YIKES! Deception is notorious for boaters! In yet again a beautiful morning with zero wind we motored out of Middle Channel and into Rosario Straight! Oh boy! The fog was so thick in places! We motored with GPS and radar as our only visibility! We were tailed by a couple of boats about 1/2 mile off our starboard quarter. We assumed they also had radar as they stayed with us but kept their distance well out of visibility. We arrived at Deception pass an hour after slack. Since the tide was flooding and we were going in we had a very fast pass through! Much to our surprise on the other side of the pass we hit a large standing wave! WOW! Never done that before! There was no damage nor was there any danger in any way just a big unexpected surprise for us!

The fog lifted, we had again perfect currents, sunshine, and made a record return speed from Friday Harbor to Everett in 7:00 hours! WOW! That is extremely fast!

We arrived at our slip, cleaned up Destiny, hauled all our junk off and proceeded to drive Mike home. Once we arrived his wife came out and insisted we come in. To our very pleasant surprise she had fresh made lasagna, garlic bread and 4 glasses of wine already for us! WOW! Note she could not make the trip because of other commitments.

Talk about a fantastic weekend!
Now I'm sitting here at work with a big grin and not really caring because it was so cool to break away for a mini vaca and meet some great friends we only see a couple of times a year! We had zero sailing because of literally zero wind but the sun was warm and we had great company!

Scott
Hmm, maybe I should have said "Motoring update" LOL!
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Well you sure beat my weekend LOL! I stayed home and made sympathetic sounds to the redhead who had a tooth go wonky and couldn't see anyone till Monday..

I did get a couple coats of varnish on a tiller tho..
:roll: