C22 Ruddder Issue

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
DVD

C22 Ruddder Issue

Post by DVD »

Hi Folks,

Well I sold Da Boat, but have returned as alas the new owner some how in high wind lost helm. I went and took a look yesterday. The tiller moves freely, too freely now. It seems to somehow be moving the rudder but kind of like a car clutch that needs to be replaced. Movement is intermittent and not smooth. So we are in need of advice from the group! I am not clear what has happened, is this something that can be fixed without hauling out? Will the rudder need to be dropped? We would like to avoid de-masting if possible, but if the repair is more serious we would prefer to take the mast down in the slip. Thanks for any and all advice. Dennis
DVD
"Da Boat" '76 Chrysler 22
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Ouch. Well, I guess the only thing you can check above the waterline is the connection between the tiller head and the rudder post and be sure nothing is slipping there. If the post is secure in the clamp, then about everything else is at least a dive and see if not a haul out.

If a weld broke on one side of a cheek that might feel that way ? Or if the rudder itself was cracked and flopping as you moved the tiller ? Maybe the rudder pivot bolt is gone and the blade is moving around ?

Just thinking out loud here..
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

It's GoPro time, put a GoPro camera on a stick and take a look what what's below the waterline. You should be able to remove the tiller assembly with out pulling the boat, but you may need to go swimming.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I'm guessing this got fixed by now... I don't follow a lot because I sold my boat. I had a similar problem. The head stock developed a crack at the thin point on one side because when you clamp down the bolt that clinches it around the tiller tube there is a fulcrum point. I ended up manufacturing a set of new head stocks out of aluminum stock. All I needed for equipment was a hole saw with my inexpensive drill press and a table saw with a good carbide blade that would be sacrificial.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos