Door County Trip 2014

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Door County Trip 2014

Post by Capt. Bondo »

We are looking at sailing Door County Wisconsin (on Green Bay) the end of July, first week of August.
Thinking of launching around Sturgeon Bay and sailing up the bay side to Washington Island. Stopping along the way to take in the various cherry festivals that I think take place that time of year....
Just at the planning stages, so I'm looking for any local knowledge of the area and ideas.
...and of course if any Chrysler sailers that want to join in or meet up let me know 8)
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Sounds like a great time...wife and I will be camping at end of May in Peninsula State Park. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences while sailing there.
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sounds like fun! Take a camera and photos for the rest of us!!

Scott
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

...and try to get someone to shoot some footage of your boat under way. There is precious little of that on the web. I'd love to see more Chryslers from the other guy's perspective. When I video my own boat, it looks like I'm riding on a whale...
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Enjoy for the rest of us too.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
br-549

Jackson Harbor

Post by br-549 »

My wife and I talked about making such a trip, but dropping in at Two Rivers. The Green Bay side appears to have much nicer accommodations and beaches. If you have a bike, touring Washington Island is very nice - a throwback from busy and tourist attractions of Door County. I am not too familiar with the west side of the island. However, Jackson Harbor on the north east is very nice and quaint. My family has been there several times. We found the best dining at http://www.thewashingtonhotel.com/. We have only accessed the island by ferry. With the lake waters rising, I am sure that more of the harbors and docks will be accessible too. Depending upon the weather and wind direction, it will be really easy to find safe harbor regardless of what could be thrown at you.

I look forward to hearing more about your travels.
We are so blessed
CraigWik

Door County, Wisconsin, Lake Michigan

Post by CraigWik »

How did your trip to Door County go?

I'm planning to take my C-26 up there in early October for a 4-day trip with some friends. Then I'm thinking about leaving the boat out there for a week, and coming back for another short (2-3 day) trip with my wife.

I was thinking about launching at Ephraim or someplace around there.

I'd like to find a place where, after the first trip, I can pull the boat out on the trailer and leave it in the parking lot for ~4 days, fully rigged, then come back and slide it back into the water for the second trip. That way I could avoid the slip fees, but not waste a bunch of time unstepping and restepping the mast.

Any recommendations on places to launch, places to anchor, scenery to check out?

Thanks,

Craig
br-549

Post by br-549 »

Sounds like a great idea. If nothing else, I think your thread will help others find new ways to venture.
We are so blessed
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Sorry I have not gotten the trip story and pictures posted yet, but it's been busy, maybe it will be a good read this winter.

Because of a troubling leak at our through hull for the keel cable we only spent 6 days in the water, after that Happy Place became a camper. But thanks to the flexibility of a trailer sailer our vacation was still great.

Here is what I can tell you...

Hopefully marina dock rates will be off season when you are there, we where there in peak summer season and transit dock fees ran from $1.75 to $2.25 (per foot) at the marinas we checked. Launch fees at the public launches were about $7.00.

Ephraim may be a good choice for what you are planning. We stayed at the Fire House Marina (south of Wilson's) that has a good launch ramp and parking in site. not sure if they allow long term parking, but I did see some Flying Scotts trailered/riged there overnight.

Both Egg Harbor and Sister Bay Marinas (that I used) had great ramps, the launch fees were waived if you paid for transit dockage. Both had nice setup areas, but long term parking for your trailer was a couple blocks away, so moving the long term with a the rig up would be a problem.

You could day sail to just about anyware on the bay side from Ephraim.

Fish Creek, we only visited by land, so I don't know about launch ramp, the marina looked to be were the big boat$ call home.

Egg Harbor has a grocery store within walking distance of the marina and there is a Piggly Wigly on top of the hill south of Sister Bay, but a little out of walking distance.

After we pulled the boat we did tour most fo Door county by car, so we can say that we have been there and done that.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
sblg43

Post by sblg43 »

And thanks for stopping in at Nelson Shopping Center in Fish Creek where I work. It was good to meet another Chrysler sailor!
1970 Man O War