Used sail distributor recommendations

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
okchance

Used sail distributor recommendations

Post by okchance »

Any one have any opinions of either Bacon Sails or Sail Warehouse? Sail Warehouse has a new fully battened, 5oz, 1 reef main for my C22 for $595. Bacon has a used Lippincott sail, 5.5oz, listed as Good+, 1 reef, 4 standard battens, fairly clean for $225. Choosing and buying a sail is above my paygrade. What does Good+ actually translate to? What is the quality of a new Sail Warehouse sail as opposed to a Lippincott used sail?
1977 C-22 S/V Bailout
1962 Pearson Triton Tramp
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

EE originally came without any foresails at all, and I bought a 110 from Bacon. Was satisfied with the quality when I got it, but like you I had no idea what the qulaity ratings really would mean; in the end I just went with the budget and bought what I could find that fit the price range; figured sailing with a used sail I can afford was better than not sailing ! 8)
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Ok...

I bought a storm sail for our C22 from the warehouse and it was well made and I have no complaints. When I bought the new main I used a local sailmaker with a good rep. Amazing the difference it made, but still using tired original foresails. I did put on new tell tails on the foresails to help trim them though...

Do you have sails now and did you have them looked at by somebody who knows sails or are you just looking to replace the originals?

Sails are the motor and like EE said and as far as I'm concerned get the best you can afford within your budget. Then go sailing! If your not racing and just getting started you'll be happy. The 22 has lots of trim adjustments to make the most of what you have.

By the way all...Happy Thanksgiving!

Billy
okchance

Post by okchance »

I have sails now and go out a couple times a week. The main got a tear in it, took it to a sail maker who repaired it. He said it was about at the end of it's lifetime and recommended I look online and find a good used sail. He told me not to spend a lot of money considering I wasn't racing. I also need a working jib, which I do not have. The boat came with a 150 and a 110 or 120. It kind of limits me on strong wind days.

Curiosity question... Does everyone else have to have a foresail up to sail? Mine is not usable with just the main.
1977 C-22 S/V Bailout
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

okchance wrote:
Does everyone else have to have a foresail up to sail? Mine is not usable with just the main.
I have never been able to get EE to tack thru under just main; never enough speed up under main only to carry the bow around. I have used just main on a reach, but you're right there's not much there..
okchance

Post by okchance »

Anyone know the proper size for a working jib on a C-22?
1977 C-22 S/V Bailout
Reality

Post by Reality »

All interesting to me as a new C22 owner who bought late this fall and haven't sailed it yet. My boat came with a 110 and a 150 foresail. Will I need something smaller than the 110. i'm a rank beginner to sailing. thanks
okchance

Post by okchance »

I sail quite a bit and really feel like I need an 80 or so. I found a 90 that reefs up to 4'6" that I am really interested in. It will increase your sailing time.
1977 C-22 S/V Bailout