New Man of War owner needs some advice ! Thank you !

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mattoxgolf

New Man of War owner needs some advice ! Thank you !

Post by mattoxgolf »

Hello fellow sailors !
I just purchased a 1974 Man of War and took it out single handed in 15 mph winds. It promptly capsized 10 times in a row ! Fun, yet I realized quickly that I weigh about 135 lbs wet and that is not enough to keep her flat and me dry... I see in the owners manual that you have online that it is possible to reef the sail. I do not understand how I can roll the mainsail a couple of times around the mast and still "attach" the sail to the boom ? I am trying to scratch my head and see how the boom will stay in a raised position ? Also, when I was sailing downwind, I opened the sail completely and the boom became detached from the mast. Any tips to keep this from happening ? I am considering installing a boom vang to give me more control over the sail and also to help keep the boom tight against the mast.
Any help / ideas would be appreciated !
Thank you in advance,
Clint
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard ! I can relate, my little Coronado 15 just loved to try and dump me over when singlehanding !

Looks like you should have two points along the boom for attaching the clew of the sail. One at the end and one part way up ? If so after rolling the sail up around the boom a bit you would reclip the clew to the second spot.

And on the boom I think there's a line you tie from the boom at the gooseneck to a jam cleat down below on the deck to keep the boom from coming loose upward.

Hopefully one of the ManOWar guys will elaborate..
walkerlake1

Post by walkerlake1 »

Mattoxgolf,

Was the Man o war hard to right once capsized. I've been sailing my in 5-10 mph winds with a home made lateen rig and its seems very stable ( i wish the winds were 15mph ) It's getting a little to cold to do a capsize test here in Pa. I weigh 210 and If she starts heeling over and I lean out at all she flattens right out.

Dave
boaty

capsize recovery

Post by boaty »

I'm wondering if in the excitement of capsizing you are forgetting to release the main sail sheet line. If so, that could cause a repeated capsize. Releasing the main sail sheet line will also make the boat eazyer to right and it also then, shouldn't try to sail away with out you or capsize again. The wind direction could also cause you some trouble. It would be best if the bow was into the wind. If that is not possible then you want it at least as close as possible to the wind. Never with the stern to the wind, this could be dangerous as the boat will take of as soon as the wind catches the sail and this could in turn, turn in to a dangerous crash jib and another capsize. Be safe and have fun and fair winds.
C Hilden
1973 Luger South Wind 21
1977 C26 Sweet Dreams
1981 Irwin 37 MKV CC