Broken Mast Step

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Vintagetrucks

Broken Mast Step

Post by Vintagetrucks »

Hey everyone, I'm Andrew and I have a 1977 C-26 swing keel... I've been lurking here for a while, since I purchased her a few years ago, soaking up your experiences and fixes. Well, I went and did it. I was stepping down the mast to replace the masthead light and windex and the aluminum step snapped just as it was nearly down. No collateral damage, just the step. I have been thinking about replacing it with a hinged step, but wasn't planning on doing mid-season. I've looked back in the archives and have seen recommendations for the Rig Rite hinged step and the Dwyer step, but they were older posts. What is the current consensus on hinged steps? I'd like to get back out on the lake ASAP, so sticking with an original replacement may be a quicker option if anyone has one available...

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I would replace it with the hinged step as long as it is down now....I don't see where there would be any difference as far as time goes...you would need to get a new step either way and that would probably be through the mail...installing the hinged step seems to be a simple, straight forward project requiring basic mechanical skills. In fact I am about to install the Dwyer step on my C22 within the next week or so. My two cents.
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

+1 on what Bill said.

Scott
Vintagetrucks

Post by Vintagetrucks »

Thank you, guys... Is there any discernible difference between the Dwyer hinge and the Rig Rite hinge?
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Dwyer or RigRite. Here's a sample of those.

They don't fit flush enough for me. I wanted something that would hinge down flush and have a few accessory holes.

These are kinda what I'm talking about. I copied this style and made my own from SS for my C22

[/img]
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

That looks pretty nice!
The extra plat for turning blocks is a good idea also. I added one of those to Lady Jo and love it!

I ran my halyards aft for easy access when alone on board!

Scott