This may have been a bad idea..

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

This may have been a bad idea..

Post by EmergencyExit »

Had to rebuild the runners/tabs on the side of the companionway hatch; they were missing so many pieces and chunks the hatch would jam opening and closing...and then I painted it after..first coat, need to sand some drips and rough spots out and do again

Of course now that looks sooo good that I'll have to do the entire deck..and even worse I ordered new teak to replace the strips on top..aw, geez

(BTW a 50/50 mix of Rustoleum Topsides Gloss White and Oyster White seems to match the hull and topsides pretty close.)
cjreardon

Post by cjreardon »

That is pretty. Did you spray or brush it? I am looking down that rabbit hole myself on the C-22, I may want to get all the patches the same color. I lost out on a slip this year, so I have been using sail time to build and repair things while they are stuck on the hard. I have been refinishing the strips for the hatch on the C-22 and my C-20. The 20 had a white plastic strip under the teak for the hatch to slide on. It was about an inch wide, a little less than 1/8 thick, and busted up pretty bad. I wonder if the plastic was original or someone added it later. It seemed like a good low friction surface that I may try to use on both boats if I can find a reasonable material to cut them out of.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Would you please just STOP making your boat so nice?!?!?!?!
I can not keep up with you!

LOL!

Looks great EE!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

cjreardon wrote:That is pretty. Did you spray or brush it?... It seemed like a good low friction surface that I may try to use on both boats if I can find a reasonable material to cut them out of.
Brushed on. My cheap sprayer finds the Rustoleum too thick even when thinned a lot. It doesn't flow out as well as the Interlux Brightsides, but close enough. Also tougher and half the price !

I think those strips were original. Most of us have replaced them with stock from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com)
CaptainScott wrote:Would you please just STOP making your boat so nice?!?!?!?!
Trust me, its the only thing on her that's nice right now !
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I have been using bright sides....works a lot better if you use their primer first.... So how did you repair. Rebuild the runners?
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I'll admit I didn't use the primer when painting the Cal, so that might well have helped with the chipping I had. I just used a generic primer..
It is a beautiful finish !
To repair the runners I turned the hatch upside down, then sanded the runner bottoms to bare glass. And glassed a strip of tabbing cloth to them to serve as a base. Turned the hatch back over and built up any places where the runner was missing chunks with thickened resin. Once that was done I sanded the top of the runners and layered on a few strips of glass to complete. Made them just a bit thicker than original..