Final shake down

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Final shake down

Post by Banshi »

Well I took my daughter her boyfriend and my youngest son out for their first trip on the "big" boat and what I am glad to say was the final shake down. The two "problems" I wanted worked out are now cured. The small water leak turned out to be a faulty sea cock for the sink drain. It was befuddling because we would only start taking on water while we were sailing and it got worse when the winds picked up. Water was coming up through the sea cock but under the cushion where we would not see it and then running to the rear of the boat filling up the bilge, when we would tack over to the other side in heavy winds it would run around the lee side(if the bilge was full) and into the cabin area. New valve and no more water( I wasn't going to do any overnighting until I was sure it would still be afloat when I awoke :wink: ) . Next was the balance. It was absolutely terrible at first, now after adjusting the mast rake you can let go of the wheel for an extended period and not change heading in moderate to light winds, only when you are trying to sail a tight windward course or in a puff/wind shift does it require constant attention. I also changed the jib sheet clam cleat over to a cam cleat and boy what a difference, along with that change I made some risers so I could mount the cleat up near the top of the winch to reduce the sheet rolling over on itself and binding up. I also moved the jib sheet cheek blocks forward about a foot to clear both the raised cam cleats and to get the sheet off my back. Eventually I will be adding a double cheek block in the rear corners of the cockpit so I can run the jib sheets around to the windward side and adjust the jib from there in heavy winds.

As for the sailing yesterday..............well the weather forecast was for SSE winds 12knts. I saw wind from every direction except what they were calling for. The early and late parts of the day were shifty and light to non existent sometimes swinging 180 degrees but the middle of the day was a fairly steady breeze even though it was still swinging around all over the place. Sea breeze you normally see never materialized, at least while we were out there. We motored in at about 3:30 in dead calm. Everyone enjoyed themselves with the exception of the sweltering heat and light winds.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Great report, thanks for posting ! The bit about the seacock made me run out and add a bit more 3M around my zinc plate, lower rudder bearing, and anything else below the waterline.

If all goes well, EE heads out about 4AM in the morning. Out there hooked to the truck right now. Hopefully that poor old trailer will make the trip, only going 70 miles.

Well, that only took nearly 3 years since Katrina, huh :wink: