Wheel Steering on a C 22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
billsfan60

Wheel Steering on a C 22

Post by billsfan60 »

And now on to question two. Wonder if anyone has converted from tiller to wheel steering on a C22.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I looked into it...Edson has a worksheet that you can use to configure wheel steering for the C22...it isn't cheap but it can be done.
Bill
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

I wouldn't convert. Very expensive, a lot of work and it clutters the cockpit for starters. Stay with the tiller . . . you'll be happier.
Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
billsfan60

Post by billsfan60 »

thanks, going to go look at what edson has to say but will probably follow your advice. always used a tiller but first mate (and helpmate first class) gets a little confused with the tiller and will do anything not to dampen her enthousiasm.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

billsfan60 wrote:first mate (and helpmate first class) gets a little confused with the tiller and will do anything not to dampen her enthousiasm.
Precisely why there's now wheel steering on EE. About the third time I went forward and almost went swimming due to a sudden face full of jib I figured the redhead wasn't going to get the tiller thing.. 8)
billsfan60

Post by billsfan60 »

did you go the edson route with your system or is there an alternative?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

The boat that came with the trailer I bought on Craigslist had an old Yacht Specialties YS wheel, and I swapped tiller and wheel with it an EE.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

ee..... I have a tiller and also have a edson system ready to into the boat for all the reasons above.... ( first mate issues) BUT how difficult is that install... and most important ..... what did you use to close off the radiator hose of the rudder post..... i wold loveto have the wheeland the remteengine controls etc.... where did you locate it in the cockpit... any pic of the mechanismunder the cockpit? how is the handling. vs the tiller... also maintenence...issues ?
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Wasn't that hard to install, but I had the advantage of having the existing one to meaure from and duplicate, etc.

In case you don't have it there's an Edson installation guide at
http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/whee ... /S-816.pdf

And it had a sort of packing gland as well that also was transferred to EE's hose; I had more of a challenge splicing a piece of hose into the donor boat's tube actually. For that I wound up with a home plumbing PVC fitting sleeve whose outer diameter fit tightly inside the hose, and whose inner diameter allowed the post to shugly pass thru; don't recall the size but it was on the shelf standard.

Haven't used it yet, its part of the current refit after the "full of rain water for 4 months because some idiot got on my boat and left hatch open incident".

Couple pics from donor boat

NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

thanks!!!! looks straightforward enough...can'tsee howthe ruddder post tubewasclosedofftomake it water tight...aalsodid the reinforce the cockpit sole at all... seemslike a lot of leverage willl beplace onthe binnaclethatmight crackethe cockpitsole....bummerabout the rain water...samehappenedtomewhen the contractor had the boatandwaspaintingit...lefthatch open andallmy electronicswererdestroyed...many newonesyeat to beinstalled and intheir boxes... he couldn't carelessandjusttoldmehtey are designedto getwetin the marineenvironment andthe icomvfwasruined... the newsuzukitachometerandraymarineintrumensts...madethe pantjobvery costly...justdo everythingyourself...it is somuch cheaper andbetter....
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Best way I can describe sealing the hose is there is a bushing in the lower hose, tight fit to the inside of the hose, and a bit loose where the post comes thru; then there is a hemp like packing that I wrapped once around the post, then pushed down into the void a bit, and repeated several times; wrap, pack down into tube, repeat.

I didn't reinforce the cockpit floor since there was none added to the donor boat.

Sorry to hear you had the same rain issue I did; at least mine was pure vandalism I guess..