Chrysler 26 boat and trailer weight

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CraigWik

Chrysler 26 boat and trailer weight

Post by CraigWik »

I've searched several posts by keyword and haven't found the answer.

What does a Chrysler 26 weigh?

What does the matching EZ Loader trailer weigh?

I know that the published displacement for the C-26 is 5000 lb. But I don't know if this is a minimum or a maximum, or if it includes all the people, cargo, fuel, water, motor, etc. that might be on the boat in the water.

Has anyone actually pulled a boat and trailer onto a scale and weighed them?

A friend is concerned about whether he will overload his truck by pulling my boat. I told him I estimate the total weight for boat and trailer at 6500 lbs, but he wants it measured.

Thanks.
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

Don't know what the boat weighs, but I think 7400 pounds is stamped on the TRAILER data plate. Most of the data plate is illegible so I am guessing that is the max gross weight of boat and trailer.

What is the towing capacity of the tow vehicle?

Will you be towing on level roads or hilly terrain?

FWIW... My towing vehicle has a towing capacity of about 12000 pounds and pulls the boat and trailer easily.
C-26
Hunter 29.5
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

FYI, most weigh stations off the freeway have the scales display readily visible form outside if they are closed! You can drive right up if they are closed, park the truck and trailer on the scales and read the weight! Do the math or if no one else is there, disconnect the PU and weigh just the boat and trailer!

If you have access to one, that is what I'd do!

Scott
CraigWik

Post by CraigWik »

Thanks for the replies.

My friend thinks the towing capacity of his older Suburban is between 6500 and 7000 lbs. Evidently they don't all have the same capacity.

He'll be towing it on "average" terrain for Minnesota and Wisconsin. Mostly flat, a few hills, no mountains.

I don't have a vehicle that will tow the boat. I've either borrowed my friend's Suburban or borrowed my uncle's F-150 so far. My friend used to think his towing capacity was 8000 lbs, but after he had some trouble with his transmission and wheel bearings, he started reading up on towing capacity and thought he might be exceeding it with the boat. He was going to borrow my boat in August, but now isn't sure he wants to risk it with his Suburban.

I'd rather not take time to borrow my uncle's truck and take time to pull it to a weigh station, and was hoping to find somebody else had already done this.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Until we bought our F150 I was always in same shape..Those orange and white rental trucks tow C26's very well,,either the 14' or the 17' as long as the ball is the right size for trailer. The newer 14's have a place for a receiver hitch too..

One of my hard and fast rules is never to use a family/friend truck after they've expressed doubt..somehow every breakdown for the next few years seems to be because of the tow use... :roll:
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I'm with EE on that one! I do not borrow vehicles nor do I lend my vehicles. I tend to be pretty picky about my rigs.

I love the idea of a rental though!!!

FYI, the drivers door frame should have enough info for the owner to look up what the suburban can handle. There is the factory plate there with GVWR and towing info. You may need to decode some info to figure out what gears are in the rear end and such but it is all there.

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

CaptainScott wrote:
I love the idea of a rental though!!!

Scott
I usually was, ah, discrete about the purpose for the rental...some of those locations dealer are a bit tightly wound about it.. 8)
"Don't ask, don't tell"
CraigWik

Post by CraigWik »

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

That is great information, thanks !

Weight makes sense too. Its at least a 5500 pound boat by the specs and the trailer's got to weigh 1500 pounds so even that guess is at 7000 pounds..if you only add 10% more and there you are at 7700 pounds..
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

Thanks, CraigWik,

Your trailer sounds identical to mine.

So I am going to assume that my boat and trailer weigh the same as yours weighs. :wink:
C-26
Hunter 29.5