broke mast need advise please

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
goldenarrow

broke mast need advise please

Post by goldenarrow »

Hello. Bought a 78 22' Wednesday. Yesterday lowering the mast this happened. Now im 100% new to sailing but from what I read the finger would normally break first. Any how any advise on how to repair this? It tore the fiberglass off and ripped a good chunk of wood with it. The wood looks like it needs replacing. Thanks in advance!

Please hold trying to find way to upload img
Last edited by goldenarrow on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
goldenarrow

Post by goldenarrow »

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Ouch Been there and done that myself lowering EE's mast when it got in a bind. Makes a lot of racket when it falls, don't it ! Hope the mast and those involved are ok !

Not too bad to fix.. Just dig out the bad wood, cut a flat piece of wood that right size and thickness to fit in the void and epoxy it in place as needed to fill any voids. Then seal the top with some 'glass cloth and resin and reattach the step. Or better yet buy a Dyer mast hinge. Won't happen again then.

In EE's case the top of that step was about an inch of pure fiberglass and the screws never really got into the wood. So they ripped out easily.

Link to that thread is
http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... =3100#3100
goldenarrow

Post by goldenarrow »

Thank you EE. Yes very loud. And thankfully no one was hurt. I watched the mast swing a little to the port side and then a thunderous crack and the mast fell onto the ground. Luckily it was soft dirt and the mast looks to be in good shape.

Looks like a simple enough repair. I had a great time sailing and can't wait to get back out. This silly work thing is already getting in the way.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

You're welcome, and that's the same thing as happened to me, a little bind to the side. Had my mast step flown a few more feet it would have disappeared in the lake !

Another tip before you start - if you can set the piece back in the step and crank the trailer up or down til that plate is level. Repair back to level and all will be as was before.
goldenarrow

Post by goldenarrow »

So ee. What did you use to replace the step with? Im going to buy the dwyer mast hinge. But it woukdnt work with out current mast. Nothing on bottom to bolt to. Thanks
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I just put same stock step on again. Looking at a mast hinge now tho. I think Capt Scott just tapped and screwed his to the bottom of the mast shoe with no issues. Some pics from him are in this thread

http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... tain+scott