Wood finishes

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
cjreardon

Wood finishes

Post by cjreardon »

I am working on my gangway planks, tiller, and the channels on the sliding hatch on a C-20 and a C-22, I have used teak oil in the past, which seems to fade quickly, and Helmsman Spar urethane which blisters and gets cloudy after 1 season. I think I will try Cabot's spar varnish this time. Our boats are getting golder and sanding these pieces is wearing them out. What has worked for folks in the past? What to do and not to do?
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

For teak, use Cetol. There might be another treatment, but varnishes and urethanes will lift and cloud, as you found out, because teak exudes teak oil on its own. That is why it is used on boats. Cetol seems to be compatable. It doesn't buff up all shiny, but remains a bit dull, on the satin side. But it looks great. And just get used to re-doing it. Thankfully, there isn't that much on these boats. They are pretty user friendly.

John
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I used Cetol on my drop boards and I like it alot...easy to apply and no sanding between coats...just buff with green ScotchBrite pad between coats.
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

+1 vote for Cetol for exterior wood.
I used teak oil for the interior wood.

Looks good and is very easy to patch if you nick the wood or scratch it.

Here is a set of boards I did on one of my C22's!
Notice the snaps for a nice cover! :)

Scott
cjreardon

Post by cjreardon »

Thanks for your input everyone. I put Sikkens natural teak cetol on the gangway planks. The one of the sets I stained and it actually came out with a nice gloss, the others were sanded down to natural color and does not have near the sheen to it, but I only applied one coat yesterday to them. The natural teak cetol does look nice. The orange cetol that was used back in the day I would never consider because I thought the color was awful.

Carl