Outboard motor controls

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
windnutlarry

Outboard motor controls

Post by windnutlarry »

Does anyone out there use the cockpit-mounted controls? My 1979 C22 has them on the port side, while my 1976 C22 parts boat has them on the starboard side. The C22 owners manual on file doesn't mention them at all, so I need to know how to rig them, operate them, and if it's even worthwhile to bother. I have a 6hp Chrysler outboard that is equipped to take the cable ends. (I know there is an outboard forum, but it doesn't seem to get much use).
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I literally just hooked mine up! I have the original controls on the port side of my cockpit and hooked them up to a modern Tohatsu 9.8 motor. I know some folks dislike the controls but I really like them.

One thing that intimidated me a but was fear of finding the correct cables and connectors. The fear was unfounded. I drove to the local chandlery ( not West Marine ) and they had all the parts in stock! Guess they are a very standard set up.

I did have to get a kit for the Tohotsu to convert from a standard set up to a remote setup. Otherwise it was pretty straight forward!

Another thing is where the cables hook up to the controller.
If I hooked up to connectors on top, everything was backwards for the tohotsu. IE push forward and the thing went into reverse, push back and the thing went motor went forward! Doh! Found I could unbolt the arm the cable hooks to and flip it over. That fixed the shifter! So some common sense and some common parts and you should be a go!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Love mine. It sits just under the tip of the tiller, and when I'm standing up coming in to dock I can either kick it forward a bit with my foot to speed up. Or I can kick back with my heel and reverse without sitting down.
windnutlarry

Post by windnutlarry »

Thanks for the info. Now that I think about it, every bass boat out on the bay uses these same control units. Oh well, always enjoy the conversations.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Port side inside locker picture
Control cables through stern to motor.

I also use my foot or leg to control the throttle.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

There ya go!
Exactly what I have except if you look at the arm that the cable on top is hooked to? For my tohatso motor I unbolted that lever, moved it 108 degrees so it pointed down then hooked the cable back up. Notice the cable mounting poits exist for top or bottom! Worked perfect!

Now I want to restor my controller! Lady Jo was neglected for MANY years and this is one of the last pieces that still looks ugly!

Scott
Whabadoo

Cable lenght

Post by Whabadoo »

Anyone care to comment on cable lenght needed for a C26, connected to the OEM controls. Just bought a new Tohotsu and need to get the cables ordered. Here is a pic of my controls from when I bought the boat. I also have an old Chrysler control box that I could use for parts/fabrication?

Looks like a putty knife was attached at some point.??

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1088 ... 3715224900[/url]
"Nebraska" is based on an Otos Indian word meaning "flat water"
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Mine on the 26 are on the pedestal steering I used it one time without and then corrected.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
dcurtis

Post by dcurtis »

Whabadoo,

I am waiting on my Tohatsu for my C26, and reusing the existing flush mount control box. I am getting the 5ft cables thru the dealer. They are betweenn 5-6 ft. I took my cables in for size to be sure, and they were 6', which were a bit long for my boat but the new cables are better and more flexible.

Captain Scott,

How are you dealing with the issue of the neutral safety lock? On the Sailor 250 engine, the switch is on the motor itself ( which I bypassed, so it did turn over in gear). But on the Tohatsu, the switch is in the Tohatsu control box (at least on the surface mount which I am not using). How did you hook yours up?

Fair Winds,
DCurtis
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

My Tohatsu has the safety switch on the outboard itself. It was not a remote outboard. I converted the shifter cable and the throttle cable only. So the safety switch still works as is, inside the cover of the outboard!

Simple and sweet!

Scott
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

HELP!

Tried hooking mine up this weekend and trying toget in the water this week ! I am conectiong to a Suzuki DF9.9 and I bought a remote kit for the outboard side of things...

but have no manual for the vintage OEM chrysler remote you guys have pictured..

If I don't hev it set up right ... once I am in the water I might loose control of the motor and the boat...

I have the exact same dealer installed remote control box as Cpt.Bondo & Cpt scott as pictured... mine is on the starboard side of a C-26 and

(the OEM use was 7 foot cables btw.)

Q. how does this unit work... ? just push it forward and it shifts forward and accelerates? same as reverse in one single throw of the lever ?

Q. Which cable goes to what connection on the back... does the shift cable go to the "top" connection (that has two holes to connect it ) and the throttle cable goes to the forward most connection with only one hole connection ?
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Your on the right track, it's really rather streight forward..
NYCSAILOR wrote: Q. how does this unit work... ? just push it forward and it shifts forward and accelerates? same as reverse in one single throw of the lever ?

A: Correct, one lever handles shifting then throttle in each direction. The pull-out button just behind the lever will dis-engage the shifting in neutral. that will allow you to give the motor a little extra throttle for starting and warm-up, then return the lever to upright and push the button back in to re-engage the shifter.

Q. Which cable goes to what connection on the back... does the shift cable go to the "top" connection (that has two holes to connect it ) and the throttle cable goes to the forward most connection with only one hole connection ?
A: Correct again, The top connection is the shifter F-N-R and the forward connection is the throttle, only pushes the cable in (faster) from idle.

After you hook it all up, tank test it in a garbage can of water to make sure everything works as it should.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

THANKS !

The internet is a great thing.... I actually was able to find the original, yes, original manual for our chrysler remote controls fitted to our sailboats... if I can get instructions on where and how to upload it, I would be happy to finally be able to contribute to the community by adding to our archive of original documents... I guess I would scan it to a .pdf file..

as Capt. B says...the remote contraption is almost a marvel of mechanical simplicity.... decades before electronic controls took over everything....
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sir, I would love a soft copy of the file you create.
I will store it with the rest of our documents and make it available for everyone!

You can just email it to my email here and I will take care of the rest!

THANKS!
Scott
norm6804

Post by norm6804 »

Does anyone have the part numbers or pictures of the brackets that connect to a Chrysler 9.9HP motor. I've narrowed down the part numbers (old and new) for the cables and control, or what I believe which will work.

My C22 never ever had controls and it's something that would be very very nice. I can't tell you how much of a pain in the butt it is not having them.

Any info that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

John
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hi John,
Not sure if this is the same motor or not but it provides a parts list including the remote control kit.

Click on documents in my signature and scroll down to the outboards section near the bottom.

Click the first link and scroll down to page 21 to see the Accessories Parts list.

You will see a variety of things there!

Enjoy!
Scott
norm6804

Post by norm6804 »

Hi Scott,

The links were broken for some reason but I'm at work so maybe that may be it. I'll check when I'm at home this evening.

I think I've found the necessary parts just wasn't sure which brackets that I definitely need at the outboard, the cables and control I was able to cross reference the old part numbers to the Mercury numbers but found that most of the parts were obsolete and were no longer available.

Thank god for ebay as I was able to find all the parts required with the exception of the outboard brackets.

I'll update the forum with all current part numbers for those in the future ask the same question.

Cheers.

John