Saw John again!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Saw John again!

Post by CaptainScott »

This is becoming a regular occurrence!

Yesterday was a very warm sunny day! We had a date with my son and his girlfriend to go crabbing as the season opened up a few days ago. We boarded and loaded up Destiny with all the normal snacks, waters and sodas and headed out. Our marina and the river have a pretty good sized no wake zone which is heavily enforced so it feels good to pass all the runabouts in Destiny! Her long waterline offers us the ability to move faster through the water than an 18' ski boat can without planing!

It was only a few minutes later I found myself staring at a nice looking sloop also motoring out to the sound when It dawned on me . . . hey! I know that boat! Sure enough it was John on the Chrysler 20 "Chance"! We came along side, shared our salutations and motored on! We had crab to catch!

A couple of hours later we were at anchor out in one of the better crabbing areas with a loaded cooler of crab and sure enough . . . . HEY! There's John sailing! What a great looking boat Chance is full sail in a nice breeze!

Around 4:00 we had to pull anchor and head for home. Our final count was 8 Dungeness Crab and 6 Rock Crab. At the house we cooked them all, ate what we could, and sent the rest home with my son and Sam.

All and all, a fantastic day with only one minor regret! I forgot my camera! I snapped a few photos of Chance from Sams phone but now I have to wait for her to email to me so I can share with John!

Great to see you again John!

Scott
Last edited by CaptainScott on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

When I saw that huge sloop bearing down on me in the river channel, I knew it was you - even though you were hidden by all that saily hardware and 40 tons of boat. Clearly, you were chasing me to be certain of that little sloop putting along.

After we spoke out on Steamboat Flats, I headed out to Saratoga passage for a change of conditions. Nice to have choices like that since it is so rare around here most days. I was glad I installed the jiffy reef system. The hardware was all there on the boom except it was set up for two lines. Not good for solo piloting in vigorous conditions. Waves were three feet and breaking all over the place. The 20 is a fine little sailer and I am more and more impressed with it. It was wet back to the hatch, but everything else stayed dry because of the generous freeboard. The boat is heavy enough that I never felt bashed about while close hauled. She does get rolly-polly on a run, though, fat as she is.

I never caught the big dogs, but I had fun anyway. Here's a video of our encounter...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjse3_YWkqI
Current: '75 Montgomery 17 #65
Current: '78 Chrysler 20
Past: '78 Chrysler 22
'98 Bauer 12 - gaff rig
'78 Orion Malibu 18
Forever: '83 Grumman 17, gunter rigged with jib and trimaran outriggers.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

And a couple of photos John took!
I'm still waiting for Same to send hers off her phone!

Good seeing you again!
Scott