keel cable replacement

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
NoRush

keel cable replacement

Post by NoRush »

Hi all

After a great day of sailing my 1980 C26, I discovered that the keel cable had broken.

I could have sworn that this topic had been discussed here before, but I could not find the thread.

I plan to use SS cable 9/32 but I don't know how much I need. I dove under the boat with a facemask and it appears that it attaches to the center board about a third of the way down. The water is still a bit murky, but it appears that the cable is swagged to an eye and attached with a shakle.

If any members have tackled this job, I would appreciate knowing the proper length and any words of wisdom from those that have done this in the water.

Thanks

Jason
S/V Astraeus
1980 C26
FranS

Post by FranS »

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

I have done it one time from under (the video) and it goes pretty well. No problem with the pocket, it's large enough and you place the cable more by feeling the hole with the hand than looking at it.

I have done it from inside the boat too, if the conduct is clean you may be able to push the cable but the drawback is that you have to make the loop at the end while in the boat... no big deal either

One thing is sure you have to get wet to screw that shackle to the keel!
Make the loop assembly as short as possible, if not it will reach the pocket top before the keel is fully raised
NoRush

Post by NoRush »

Thanks for the input, I was in the swimming pool today practicing with the Hookah gear.

On your boats how is the cable attached to the winch? Do I need to swage another fitting to keep the cable from coming off the spool?

Jason
S/V Astraeus
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

On mine there's a hole in the spool side the line goes thru from the drum to the outer face of the spool, and then thru a clamp fitting to secure it to that face.
dennis knudson

C-26 Keel Cable

Post by dennis knudson »

I have replaced my cable several times over 20 plus years and always have done it in the water. Once I careened the hull with a line from the mast head and winched the boat over the gain better access. I placed anchors well both fore and aft. I used a hose extension on a snorkle and had one of my sons catch the end when I placed it through the thru hull.

I subsequently became a scuba diver and have replaced all others while on the mooring. It is a lot easier. it is remaarkable how quick lack of air sets in while trying to feed the cable or attach the shackle.

Tips: Remove the split seal at the top end of the hose attached to the through hull. It is easier to fit the cable.
Remove the table top and the back panel to gain access to the winch.
there is no problem reaching up into the keel trunk. Not a lot of room but it is a fair reach.
works best to have someone inside the boat to catch the end.
Consider replacing the shackle if there is signs of wear.
I have allways purchased 8 ft of cable. More is better than not enough.
I have always used 1/4 inch ss cable and I carry a spare just in case.

The lake on which I sail is marked for hazards but mostly for the power boat crowd. Six feet is considered navigable to them.

Good luck.
askme233

easy, in the water method

Post by askme233 »

Did this several times in one day (see my other posts) and it is easy.

Not sure of the rigth cabling to use, but heavier the better. You can use the old cable for length, but it is not critical as long as it is long enought (pretty easy to figure from Keel depth)

Unwind the old one from the winch and wind the new cable onto the winch first (it just holds itslf on with a few turns). Then push the free end of the cable down through the cable all the way so that a considerable amuont is hanging below the boat. Either dive under or use a mooring hook to reach under and pull the cable up from under the boat around the side. Attached hardware as required for your situation. Dive under andaffix the hardware to the keel.

This method requires the least time in the water and can be done with limited/no visibility.
NoRush

Post by NoRush »

Got the project complete this weekend. Just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for the input.

It went exactly to plan except I didn't realized that the air from the dive gear would pump water into the boat. So other than wet carpet everything went well.

Jason
S/V Astraeus
1980 C26