Pirateer - what to look for before purchase

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
keri

Pirateer - what to look for before purchase

Post by keri »

I'm looking at a 1980 Pirateer. Seems in good shape from the photos but what should I be looking for when I go look at it in person? Everything I've read says these are good boats but do they have flaws I should be looking for? This will be the first boat for my son and I that we will be learning how to sail on so I feel confident that we are making a good choice with the Pirateer, but just want to make sure THIS Pirateer is a good choice.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard Keri,
Glad to have ya!

I've never owned a Pirateer so I can not help with specific items to that model but I can give you some basic tips.

First is a good general look at the hull. You want to look for any soft spots in the gelcoat. Where the deck or hull might feel spongy. This is something you generally want avoid unless you know what you are doing. Some smaller boats, not necessarily this one, are prone to deck separation from the hull itself. You want to avoid that also. If possible, a look at any wood in the hull for rot is a good idea.

Keep in mind most older boats are perfectly usable if no major issues are exist.

Unless you are very familiar with sailboats, I'd ask the seller to rig the boat completely. Then with your camera take detailed photos of all aspects of the rigging. It will help later! After your excitement wears off it is amazing what your forget! LOL! Also rigging the boat completely will expose any missing items. If the seller is reluctant to rig the boat . . . . .maybe a red flag.

Last thing to look at is sail condition. Some folks put huge value on this. Others do not care. The obvious things are stitching and any holes , tears, rips or such in the sail. A few lose threads might be fine for years, holes could tear in a moments notice. Also grab a fistful of sail. If it sounds crinkly like a piece of paper, that is good. If it feels like old warn out blue jeans, the sail is near end of life. Likely still very serviceable for a rookie sailor but an experienced sailor might not like it.

Good like in your search for a boat and keep us posted!

Scott
keri

Post by keri »

That's GREAT information - thank you!!!