question about centerboard while boat is in slip.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
aerojet777

question about centerboard while boat is in slip.

Post by aerojet777 »

Hi All ...well summer is almost here and i have a question about keeping the boat in a slip during the summer. is it better to keep the center board UP in the slip to reduce keel pin wear or can i just leave it down and not worry about it ? the marina is pretty well protected and not much wave action but i did read that some folks recomend keeping the keel up to reduce pin wear if the boat is in the slip all the time.

thanks

and happy sailing. :D
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I keep the keel up for that reason, and also because I want as much water under me as I can. Our slips are 8 feet deepish with a minimal tide , and 6 feet under you with keel up quickly becomes 2 with the keel down !
aerojet777

keel position

Post by aerojet777 »

thanks EE, when i did a google search i found about half of the people keep them up and the other half keep them down for various reasons in the slip...so i got all confused lol.

if the keel is left up will it bang around in the keel trunk ? one guy said to keep it down because if the cable breaks the keel would come slaming down and damage the trunk. but that was for a different swing keel boat than the chrysler
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

On Lady Jo I kept the keel down while in the water. I also kept a tad bit of tension on the keel cable. The tension was to keep the keel from banging around when down.

The reason I left the keel down was because it was convenient for me. I'm lazy and felt zero desire to crank up and down the keel each time I went sailing! LOL!

Unlike EE depth was not a concern. :)
Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: keel position

Post by EmergencyExit »

aerojet777 wrote:thanks EE, when i did a google search i found about half of the people keep them up and the other half keep them down for various reasons in the slip...so i got all confused lol.

if the keel is left up will it bang around in the keel trunk ? one guy said to keep it down because if the cable breaks the keel would come slaming down and damage the trunk. but that was for a different swing keel boat than the chrysler
My two have never banged with keel up, and I really can't see the cable breaking unless it was really really missing strands or had breaks.
We lost a boat in a slip at the club once, a Starwind with the keel left all the way down. Got to bouncing in a storm, keel slammed up and down until it had punched a hole in the keel trunk..so as Scott says if you leave it down do tension the cable so it can't slam against the trunk.

I will add that when tied up the boat will move around in the wind less with the keel down, and be less tippy too.