It is that time again!! . . added more photos at bottom.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is that time again!! . . added more photos at bottom.

Post by CaptainScott »

We'll spring is coming and it is time to take Destiny out of the water!
Yesterday I spent a good 3 hours pressure washing her and cleaning her topsides! Friday she comes out of the water for some more serious effort! She'll get her bottom sanded and painted. She'll get new zincs, and she'll get her hull polished and waxed!

There is a standing invitation to Chrysler Forum sailors to come and see the effort if you are interested! Not asking for help, just offering you a chance to see if you'd like!

Friday she gets hauled out and bottom cleaned. Saturday she'll get sanded and painted.

Sunday she'll get polished and waxed.

Sunday afternoon/evening she'll get some very bright underwater LED lights installed! Yes, by me. These will be to allow for night time underwater wild life viewing. First time I heard of this I thought it was silly but then I actually experienced them from another boat and OMG was it cool! These lights are very expensive and we have collect 4 now over 2 years. They go on this weekend and I can't wait to try them! LOL!

Any Chrysler sailors interested in seeing any part of the process, drop on by! Give me a shout or just show up. Destiny will be in the North Marina haul out facility behind Scuttlebutts.

FYI, Destiny is a 40' Beneteau Oceanus 400. She's a 94 model launched in late 95 and is 19 years old this year! AMAZING how time flies! We've had her over 10 years now!

Scott

A picture of Destiny in the sling from a few years ago:

You might ask why we do all this work, here is one reason! LOL!
Last edited by CaptainScott on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

I might swing by. You won't recognize me though; I'll be the guy standing at a safe distance, wearing a new suit, so as not to be tempted to throw myself at the task.

John
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Vary nice sailboat, that is a lot of work to get done in a vary short time. I wish you the best, that all goes will. Wish I lived closer I would love to see it. Underwater Led lights, what a good idea more information needed. love to put some on a C-26.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Just wondering how it's coming a long. We all love photos of a grand sailboat like yours. Wish I lived closer
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Nice
Last edited by NYCSAILOR on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Don't those underwater lights need thruholes? They are cool but I thought that is a lot more holes in the hull to keep track off. But they are entertaining and quite a draw. They are must haves for the bigger yachts in the marina. Make the boat look very modern. Would love to see how they are installed
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Chrysler20%26 wrote:Just wondering how it's coming a long.
We have completed all our work!

The first day was simple and straight forward! We hauled Destiny, had her pressure washed as we are no longer as owners allowed to pressure wash our own boats at the haul out.

Second day was a bust. Our intent was to sand and paint. The shop we rent sanders from has 3. two broken and one gone missing. Dang. The Marina requires power sanders with vacuums and Hepa filters. So we spent a good portion of the morning looking for a rental when I finally just said lets buy. So we went to Home Depot and purchased a dedicated shop vac, 6 inch random orbital sander and hepa filters. Back to the boat for sanding 2 hours late. Then Mother nature had her way. We managed 70% sanding complete before the downpour began! YIKES! It was windy and raining very hard! We packed up and went home.

Day three, Complete sanding! Yes! That is a nasty job! With our extra help this year, my wife, my mom and her husband painting, I worked on the new lights install!

Man they paint fast! I got the lights mounted and wires ran into the hull and the painting was up to me and my lights at the very stern! WOW! Soooo, they painted up to and around the lights!

Day 4, time to polish the hull! Our original plan was to use day 4 as the day to wire up the lights to power and put a switch in the helm to turn them on and off. Being a day late, that was put on hold so we could clean and wax. This year I noticed the hull came clean, shines up nice but could have used a little more TLC. Next time she gets a machine polish and wax! We were well ahead of the days expected scheduled waxing and the port workers showed up and said they could launch us anytime as they were way ahead of schedule! AWESOME! We needed another 1/2 hour and could be ready. So we finished up, and launched two hours early on day 4!!! Whooo hoo!

Day 5 I spent a good bit of time running wires, soldering, heat shrinking, mounting a switch, etc!

Day 5 evening our work was complete, Destiny was in her own slip and we spent the night aboard! That was Tuesday.

By Thursday we were back aboard for a full weekend of fun with friends in Poulsbo in Liberty Bay!

We spent Thursday through Sunday staying up late, drinking beer and wine and generally have a grand time with friends! 12 boats showed up this year and we just had a blast!

For those in question, our lights worked great! They light up below Destiny's stern very nicely! We saw a lot of little wild life. A school of tiny shrimp, many fish, odd worm looking things that swim sideways, and even a long worm thing that looked like a string swimming around! I can't wait to get out where there are very few boats and watch the night time sea life!

We mounted 4 of them in a row across the stern of Destiny. two point mostly down and a little back two point to the side as the hull curves and down. Very nice look!

The stern of our boat has a sugar scoop transom with a swim step on the back. either side of the step opens up to a wet locker underneath. I mounted the LEDs under the wet locker. Drilled holes from the bottom into the wet locker, then from there ran them into the interior of Destiny. Worked pretty well!

My photos of the lights on under water are from my cell so they suck! Doh! I'll post them later and get better shots one of these days!

Scott
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Why didn't 'cha call me? I have all that stuff.

John
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

When I first seen your post, I did not think you could do all that in only days. I was thinking more in weeks. But WOW you an your teem got her done. An even got to go sailing, a man with a plan good for you Well Done. Now for the rest of us working on our small boats, lets get them done, It has been a long winter. Time for some sailing
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

I'm on it. Just overhauled the old trailer. Rebuilt the hubs, new lights, and a new tongue with new coupler. I cut it off a few weeks ago and made a 10ft extension for launching. Things will be easier this year.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Getting all the work done is not an issue as Diane and I have had larger boats for almost 20 years now and do all the work ourselves. We started by helping my parents with their boats. Gives you an education worth gold and confidence to save TONS of bucks. It is all about efficiency and just getting it done!!

I'd have called you John but I would never borrow a private tool for the sanding! It makes a HUGE mess! However I now have a dedicated vac and sander so anyone one else needing it is a go!

Scott
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

OK, The first day was pretty rainy so the photos were very sad from my cell.

After that I simply did not take my camera.

However here are a few shots:

Here is Destiny just out of the water and before washing. There were some barnacles because we waited 3 years to haul her. Most were on the very bottom of the keel. The guy in the black and red hat is me! Taken by Howards cell.

Here is a shot of her bow. I was interested in the staining on the hull and wanted a compare shot before and after. Since the stains came off well, I did not bother with the after shot!

After re-launch we sailed to Poulsbo for a sail in with 12 other boats. We arrived a day early. My need for entertainment had me with my 3' long RC sailboat sailing after dark in light breeze testing the nav lights. Picture does no justice! They are remote controlled and work fantastic!! With the starboard pennants and flags including our group flag, she received many praises!

Here we are motoring home and just arriving at our home port. Our Corgi OWNS the foredeck! I swear she knows when we are nearing our own marina as she spent a lot of time on the bow and as we got close to home she went all the way to the anchor and just stared forward! A quick call and she turned, I believe she was smiling! LOL!
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

LOL, I love it, with a Corgi you only need to put the safety netting one life line up.
A Corgi must be the perfect sailing dog...low center of gravity.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Thanx Capt. Scott...very nice indeed.
Bill
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

I would shine my hull too, but it would be like polishing a turd. :oops:

..and Corgi's always smile. :D
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

That is a vary nice boat, looks like the main sail roles up in the mast. An your new head sail looks good, must be fun to sail. I like the 3' RC, Destiny has a mini me. "That's cool" Thank you for posting