SIMPLE SHORE POWER ON A C22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

SIMPLE SHORE POWER ON A C22

Post by CaptainScott »

Shore power on a sailboat came up recently and I started thinking.
How easy and cheaply can I add simple AC to Lady Jo my Chrysler 22.

Since I already have an extensive DC power Panel and DC system I wanted my AC to be very simple, easy, and cheap. Needs? Really, none. But, a dehumidifier while she is on the trailer would be nice. Maybe even an AC trickle charger would be nice. I do NOT want AC heat. So current draw is minimal. 15 amps absolute MAX. Yes I can run heat with that but I prefer not to. If it is that could I'll be on Destiny, not Lady Jo! LOL!

So, after some serious searching, the basic extension cord through the stern was an option but I wanted a little more than that. A cord slipped through the lazerette openings into the fuel tank well and out the drain holes just seams dangerous.

I found this little doohickey on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00144 ... UTF8&psc=1

15 bucks? Why not. I ordered it.
I also picked up a small power strip with a breaker built in. The strip sits in the little triangle cubby just to the port of the companion way. The mail plug on the strip is semi permanently mounted in the plug above. I drilled a 1 7/8 inch hole high in the cockpit through into the lazerette. The male end of the power strip becomes the plug for an extension cord. I now have a simple through hull AC source in Lady Jo.

Today she sits on her trailer with a dehumidifier quietly purring away inside keeping her fresh! ( I hope )

I also added a trickle charger to keep the battery fresh as it appears my solar panel has not kept up this year!

I'll update if I have issues!

Hope this helps!
Scott

PS: I bought the power strip AFTER the plug arrived. The power strip AND the extension cord most have the straight connectors on the ends!
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

C-26
Hunter 29.5
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

That is a pretty nice option to what I have done!
The cost however would have prohibited me from using it.
For Lady Jo, my setup plus a smidgen of dialectic grease and I'm set!

Scott
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Hey Capt. Scott,

I ordered one of those nifty plugs last week and installed it today. Good suggestion. I remain impressed at the heavy construction of the Chrysler 22, having drilled and bored some holes to run wires through for other uses such as the charging cable from my outboard to the battery. Little wonder these boats feel like larger ones under way.

Little fixes continue...

John