sailboats and preppers

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
aerojet777

sailboats and preppers

Post by aerojet777 »

first off im not a prepper but i have been reading that lots of preppers are considering trailerable sailboats as their bugout vehicles. the idea is that since the roads would be blocked etc, they would chose to use the waterways to move around.

any thoughts on that ?

:?:
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Not a prepper for dooms day but I am aware that fire, earthquakes and flood are all issues in the PNW.

Because of this I keep basics aboard Destiny. 130 gallons of water, normally near full or full fuel tank, some food, and a full set of clothes.

Destiny always has propane for cooking, beds with clean linens, two heads, running water, multiple heat sources, plenty of light and many books. Multiple VHF radios aboard, FM and AM receivers are aboard as are multiple GPS units.

So . .. . while I do not consider myself a prepper, I am aware of what COULD happen. Our boat is an ideal second home should we lose ours in a disaster or such.

I agree, getting to the boat may be an issue but we are not that far as the crow flies. We have a nice 4X4 PU and a motorcycle. Worse case we could walk if things got that bad.

Personal protections is also not an issue! :shock:
8)

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Two Words...Emergency....Exit.. 8)
aerojet777

sailboats and preppers

Post by aerojet777 »

sounds like a good idea if you are ready to go. i need more food and beer lol.
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

And zombies can't swim!
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Lots of preppers are nut cases, too.

Worst case scenario, you would never even make it to the ramp, because they would have already beaten you to it. Ever been there on opening day? And that's supposed to be fun. Imagine how nice those guys would be if they were trying to save their azzes.

If by some miracle, you make it to the bay, then what? On a sailboat you are a sitting duck. You can't hide and you can't outrun trouble. Any 17ft powerboat with two or three zombies, armed with rifles, will quickly make mincemeat of everything you have. Everything.

Best to stand your own ground. Let trouble finds its way to you on your terms. Use the boat as an auxiliary source of shelter, like a camp trailer, but don't count on sailing away in it.