Sailing report from Montana

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
double "D"

Sailing report from Montana

Post by double "D" »

Conditions were favorable for the first couple of months of winter as long as you had a craft that ran on ice. The hard freeze came well before the snow this year and I was hoping to learn of some ice sailing events as I know there are craft in the area. Did not learn of any sailing events but I did read a interesting newspaper article about a couple of folks in the Flathead Valley (NW Mt) that managed to ice skate miles (nine?) down a frozen river.

Back to the report, warmed up quite a bit today as the state was blanketed with heavy snow over the last two days. Once the snow started falling, the temperature rose gradually from the low of -30 degrees C it had been maintaining for the last week to about zero currently. A pleasant change for me I must say.

Frayed Knot sits comfortably on the side lawn where I decided she would winter and allow me the opportunity to do some maintenance. She seems content under the deep blanket of new snow but she will get restless soon.

I did complete the desired trailer work this fall, the new paint and surge break controller defiantly improve the overall "on the hard" look. I also manage to rewire the mast and am searching for a replacement mast light to finish that task.

I have also located all the required stepping hardware and plan to practice once its not to cold to freeze my hands on cold metal. In the past I have always had ample help at the marina and used their raising system. This season a friend has extended the use of his dock to me and I want to master solo stepping long before I reach the launch.

I look forward to the coming season and to try some new techniques I have read about - has anyone mastered heaving to on a C22?

Last but not lease - I think the members would enjoy seeing this add for a 34' Able. I did call and the boat was getting a survey on Thursday with a long list of next in lines potential buyers - I'm sure it sold. I understand that in addition to the shallow fixed keel, there is some type of swing keel
mechanism on the boat.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/Ab ... vf7LrWYbIU

Should the link not work, just search for the Able in Ensenada Mexico.
White Water to Waves
1974 22' Sandpiper Frayed Knot
1995 20'Bayliner
14' River Raft
14' Canoe
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

It's a long winter here in Wisconsin too. They do ice boating just west of us on Lake Geneva...I really should go check it out sometime. My C22 is nestled under a blue plastic tarp for the winter in the driveway...I am just itching for the warm weather so I can uncover her and finish up the refit.
Bill