Winter on the Water

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Winter on the Water

Post by Bhacurly »

Hey All

Went to pull our C-22 out of the water for winter and found the lake is at the lowest level in 10 yrs! We can't get it out and it will be wintering on the water for the first time. Pulled most stuff off and will be getting the motor and tarping it tomorrow. I don't have power at the slip.

Any tips on leaving it are appreciated. The slip shouldn't freeze unless it's an unusually cold year. Guess I'm just worried an inexperienced in this an want to do what I can to keep her floating!

Billy
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Big peace of mind for me when Aislin Girl had no shore power was a solar panel to keep the battery up in case the bilge pump started running a bit due to a leak or such..
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Drain the outboard if you leave it on your boat!
Close the sink drain.
Check her weekly!

Make sure there are no nasties that will contaminate the lake if on the rare chance there is a problem. EG remove oils, spare fuel, alcohol for stove, etc

Oh yeah like EE said solar panel on battery! Lady jo has had no shore power since I bought her!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

forgot - I also wired an hourmeter into my auto bilge pump circuit. That way I'd know if the pump had been running while I was away...
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

I'm right there with you, Billy (literally, I'm just down the dock). I overwintered last year in the parking lot and did a few modifications to the boat to do the same this year.

Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation. I had some mildew/mold problems because of condensation on the ceiling. The coldest surfaces will be against the air, not the water. Remove all of the cushions, sails, etc. to prevent them from getting wet.

I installed a solar vent in the v-berth that seams to do the job.

A small solar cell to keep your batteries topped off in case the bilge pump needs them. Fortunately batteries don't need much charge in the winter since the cold preserves them. If you get a solar cell get an adjustable charge controller so you can turn the voltage down for the winter, probably to 12.5V so you don't overcharge the batteries. Harbor freight has some cheep ones.

A second bilge pump just in case may be in order.

I am going to tarp the hatch/cockpit area to keep the snow off that area as much as possible.

Let me know if you need any help.
Dave

1976 Mutineer
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Oh boy, Ican't believe I forgot to mention that!

VENTILATION!!

Windwalker hit the biggest issue on the head!

Scott
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Thanks for the help!

I don't have a bilge pump, never have :shock:

Looks like I'll be putting one in with solar charger and fan...maybe see if I can move to a slip with power for the winter.

Took home a truckload of stuff and still need to tarp and take the outboard off. Hope to do that early next week so will being doing some research on the charging setup.

Billy
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Update :D

Well no power slips available, but talked w/ the marina owner and we will be able to lift the boat out on monday!!

Thanks to the swing keel and rudder, and the weight of the boat, the crane should ab able to get it out.

I tried to look at our specs & manuals pages but there was nothing there... I was thinking the draft on the C-22 is about 18" and the weight maybe 2500-3000 lbs. The lake has 3ft at the crane, and that weight is doable as the boat will be a little further out than a normal lift.

So if I am off on either of those 2 specs please let me know before Monday.

Thanks again!
Billy
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

Weight is supposed to be 3000, dry weight. Draft is about right at 18 I would think.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

We got it out!

It was tight, barely got the sling under the keel... had to lower the mast first while in the slip and with good winds I was a bit anxious.

But she sits tonight at home. Will clean her up then into the shop for the winter and some minor work.

Thanks again for the help!

Billy
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Good deal Billy!
Glad you got her home and safe!

I know in Easter Wa if the lakes freeze there can be some severe damage when the ice moves!

I figured your boat would be fine but all I could think of was some of the could winters in Moses Lake when the lake froze. Ice tore up everything in its path!

Scott