unpleasant surprise

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
boaty

unpleasant surprise

Post by boaty »

I went out today and opened the main hatch on my boat and got an unpleasant surprise. The original Chrysler tote tank gas tank that came with the boat gave up the ghost some time after we got home Sunday. The boat was full of gas fumes. Glad I don't smoke. I opened the forward hatch to vent the fumes, then set to sorting out the problem. I inspected the inside of the tank when I bought the boat and it looked great. When I pulled the tank out today though it had sprung a leak from a pitted rust spot on the outside bottom. :x
There looks to be lots of room in that locker, but the hatch opening is not vary big. I hope I can find a good sized tank to put in there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
Boaty
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

If its a C26, the Attwood 6 gallon will fit, at least mine did, but it's a bit of puzzle getting it in there. And I can never remember from time to time which corner goes in first and when to turn it and what to push all that..but it will go..and you don't want to put it in full of fuel, way too unwieldy..

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/prod ... -fuel-tank

EDIT: this design is newer than mine, but I seem to remember somebody posting they had the newer one
boaty

new gas tank

Post by boaty »

Thanks for the input my new tank fits great. Now we're all set to go this week end.

Boaty
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

You're welcome ! Slips right in there, huh :roll:
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Forgive me and my soap box.
First let me say I am not familiar with how a C26 stores gasoline.

However you boat should NEVER fill with gas fumes. If it did, there is something wrong with the way you have the fuel stowed. Maybe you have stowed it exactly as the boat is designed. If so, then I'd be seriously looking at that locker to insure it is vented outside of the boat and in no way vented INTO the boat.

What happend to you is and extreme safety issue. Image if you had spent the night aboard when that happened. If you did not get poisoning from the fumes, you may have turned on a light or such and created a bomb.

This is not an attack on you and again, I am unfamiliar with the fuel stowage on a C26, however I'd be looking to rectify that problem ASAP!

If the boat does not support a properly stowed fuel tank you might consider getting a blower setup to vent your boat prior to use similar to power boats. Install the intake at the lowest point in your boat!

I'm glad no one was hurt and pleased your new tank fits well for you.

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

CaptainScott wrote: If so, then I'd be seriously looking at that locker to insure it is vented outside of the boat and in no way vented INTO the boat.
Scott brings up a point on the C26 I never thought about - on mine (both)the little starboard side bulkhead between the fuel locker and the stern berth is open at the top by an inch of so. My cap and hose faces the other side so any fumes there go right out the hole the outboard sits in. But a hole in that other corner (the one you never see) might well allow fumes inside..hmmm, good catch Scott !
boaty

Post by boaty »

Thanks for the post Captinscotte. I agree with you on all points. I was flabergasted when I started searching and found that the locker where the gas tank is stowed is open to the in side of the boat. This must be a design over sight, and a serious one at that. The locker is also open to the out side where the outboard mounts.
I must add though that the leak in the tank was vary bad, it was on the bottom of the tank and about 1/4 of the tank had leaked out. Gas was running down the transom and on to the rudder. I thank God for the way things worked out. As you stated if this had had happened while we were staying on the boat..... I find my self being nerves now, and have noticed that when the outboard is running I can smell exhaust fumes in the cabin. I don't know if the fumes are coming in through the same opening or not, but now I'm vary aware of the problem and will be searching for a solution. Opening the forward hatch should vent the cabin, but not if the wind is a stern. I may have to seal off the opening in the fuel tank locker and find a new place on the outboard side of the cockpit where I can install a vent.
thanks again
Boaty