Pictures of the C26 Vberth construction?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
KeyWest

Pictures of the C26 Vberth construction?

Post by KeyWest »

The C26 we acquired a few years back is a work in progress. I've realized recently that the Vberth is probably not configured the way it should be. The widest part consists of plywood sheets that are resting on narrow ledges and brackets on the bulkhead with no support otherwise underneath. Whenever we sleep there it all creaks alarmingly and we're worried the whole thing will collapse. I was wondering if anyone had photos of the the vberth construction they could point me to?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Sounds like original to me..either a single piece of thin ply with hatch cutout, or 3 smaller pieces. Ply is cut at slight angle to match sides and wedge in place at proper height. I always (done it twice now) go up a thickness and when I add the furring strips for the hatch to sit on I make sure the one at front goes all the way across the vberth.

Click to enlarge

KeyWest

Post by KeyWest »

Thanks for the pix, that last picture of the finished berth does not look like mine at all. What is that vertical formica piece with the notch in it? I think I have one of those flying around the boat painted white, but I didn't know it belonged anywhere. We have three boards that go all the way to the doorway and two of them sit on a strip that's been screwed into the bulkhead as support on either side of the doorway. the middle board sits on top of those. It covers the area you show as open between the door and your vberth compartments. It's very rickety. The way your vberth is configured in that picture, it doesn't look like anyone can sleep there. The triangular board you replaced is not what I'm talking about. That part of the vberth is solid, so I'm more concerned with cracking open my head when the wide end falls to the floor.

My vberth sides are covered with this quilted vinyl thing. I'm afraid to remove it, but I probably should to check for leaks. Is there an easy way to do this without destroying it?

Also where did you get those lovely cushions?
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Pic was only to show the sole which is what I thought you were referring to - the vertical piece with veneer is the rear wall of the ice chest locker. A piece of ply goes on top of that, as part of the vberth sole, and behind that is another removeable piece of ply with flat metal wings on each side. Guessing that's the rickety part you mean ? If it's flexing, I'd replace it with thicker or brace it with 1x2 strips underneath..
KeyWest

Post by KeyWest »

What is the "ice chest locker"?
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Key West

When one speaks of the ice chest locker most are referring to the first covered section in this photo, the front section is not in place that encloses this part.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

KeyWest wrote: Also where did you get those lovely cushions?
Oops, forgot to answer..the white sides are just vinyl covered pink 1/2" foam board. That green piece at the bow is wood with a bit of foam and covered in sage colored burlap cloth. Bit of trim at the top. All home made.
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

EE
When were you on my boat taking pictures? Mine looks just like yours in your before pic. Did you have to remove the bulkhead to the anchor locker? Mine was rotted and had to come out. What did you do to support the new ply along the hull?
Clair
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

clair hofmann wrote:EE
When were you on my boat taking pictures? Mine looks just like yours in your before pic. Did you have to remove the bulkhead to the anchor locker? Mine was rotted and had to come out. What did you do to support the new ply along the hull?
Clair
LOl, one thing about the Chryslers, if its bad on one it probably is on another..didn't have to remove the anchor locker bulkhead on this one, but did on EE.

Reason why on this page below.

http://pwp.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep ... 280880&ck=

On this one I did epoxy some runners on hull sides, but on EE I when so far over on ply thickness that the angle on the edges was plenty enough to wedge in place.. 3/4" ply.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

EE, do you have a pic and / or dimensions of that "rickety" peice for the vberth... Ipresume thais is the "plug" section that completes the berth and fills-in the small standing area of the v-berth for sleeping... I have the OEM cushion but somehow do not have the underneath board to support it.

You said this peice has some aluminum ears or flanges to keep it from falling down...
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Happen to have one of those pieces in my side yard on a boat named Emergency Exit! She's at home again for more work..
Will take you a pic with measurements when I get in tonight..
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Dimensions roughly 16"x32", but angles are odd on each side..
the wood fits in the space under the cushions, the flat plates overlap the "shelf" pieces on either side..click on pics to enlarge

NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

WOW ! thanks exactly what I needed... what is the width of those aluminum "cleats' ?

Strange, I have the oem pillow but not this insert that would support it....
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

NYCSAILOR wrote:WOW ! thanks exactly what I needed... what is the width of those aluminum "cleats' ?

Strange, I have the oem pillow but not this insert that would support it....
Maybe 3". Something along those lines
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Measured them - 2" x 14"