Second shake down cruise

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Second shake down cruise

Post by Banshi »

Forecast for the day, NW 5-10 mph, yeah sounds like a lazy day of sailing....maybe if it drops off to much I'll just anchor up, take in the sun and make up some lashing lines needed for various tasks around the boat(I grab up my new 5/16 and 3/8 lines for the task).......................................NOT!!!!!!!!! How about a steady 15-20 mph breeze with gusts well over 30 :) I sailed up the St. Johns from Greencove Springs to NAS JAX which is about 15 miles one way. It was pretty much a straight shot both ways broad reach going up, close reach to beat going back down depending on the very shifty and gusty wind. The keel cable she did sing the whole time. The wife was unfortunately terrified on the way back as the wind really picked up and I spent a good part of that trip avoiding knock downs, I should have reefed the main or dropped the jib but.................the speed, I just can't give it up for a few gust that are to much. The new bilge worked perfect which is unfortunate because I thought I had the rudder shaft leak problem solved and when your laid over at 45 degrees + the water just runs out the bilge and around the lee side of the boat. I think I have the wife talked back into going again after discussing what I could/should have done to make the ride more pleasant, she really enjoyed the ride when we were not fighting off knock downs. I also need to work on the balance of the boat, it requires to much rudder input to keep it in a straight line in moderate to heavy breezes, I raised the keel several time to try and move the center of resistance back but it never was enough. I'll try raking the mast forward and moving some weight forward to get the main farther out in front. To top it off the motor which cranked easily twice during the day refused to crank coming in forcing us to literally drift in just before dark as the winds dropped off to zero. You know, the rudder when pulled up to the retracted position, makes a fine flipper :) It was great fun......for me anyways.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Sounds like the trip I had a few weeks ago. I explain my experiment like riding a wet roller coaster. Glad you made it back with everyone in one piece.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I still have to go to the mother in law's house for lunch today, man o man am I gonna hear about it :)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hey, Banshi (and everyone) this is the most accurate wind/sky forecast site I have found, link below is for Jacksonville

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... =graphical

If anyone else is interested, go to its home page, enter your city,st at the top left, then when the page for your area comes up, scroll down to the bottom right and click on "Hourly Weather Graph"
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Just for the record I was listening to the NOAA weather forecast on my VHF radio the day before................go figure :wink: I also check the weather channel and the local weather channels in the hope of get at least a general idea of what's going to happen. Mind you I'm not complaining about the weather because I'm a heavy weather kind of guy just noting how so very far off they all were. Next time I'll turn on the VHF as soon as I start to stand the rigging and perhaps I will at least get a clue as we are pulling out from the dock.

Hey EE how bout that ramp listing/review idea?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I had just noticed the post, sounds like an idea !

Re: NOAA - I had added that link to our club site, http://www.pelyc.org, along with a sailflow link, and wunderground, seems like the NOAA is dead on for us nearly all the time moreso than the others. It gets updated as time goes by, much more than the radio reports seem to do
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I have no excuse. I knew it was blowing when I went out. I am just a moron.

But it was fun as soon as I changed my underwear.