Launching

Post All Trailering Topics Here
KenO

Launching

Post by KenO »

Just launched my new 26 Simplicity. As there in no extended tongue on the trailer (and no option to install one), has anyone installed a wheel on the tongue to allow further immersion of the trailer. Similar to that on a full keeled boat. I felt bad to immerse the tailpipe of the rental truck.
Thanks for any help.
KenO
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

I'll be following this thread closely. I just bought a C-22 and have the same problem: I don't want to dunk my Jeep up to the rear footwell - maybe.

My quick-n-dirty plan is to fab a stinger that will extend the hitch another 8ft back, with a ball on the end. A full trailer mod will follow after I put the boat in the shop for the season, but for now and next few weeks, this has to work.

So, I also would like suggestions on how to support the stinger as I back over the hump at the top of the ramp, which will really pull down on the little Jeep.
Some kind of bogey wheel at the nose of the trailer, like an aircracft maybe. It would have to free swivel and be able to take some rough cracks in the concrete without buckling.

Any thoughts out there? KenO and I need some ideas.
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

The hitch extension "stinger" is coming along nicely. I took the plastic wheels off my trailer jack and replaced them with some neumatic tires I had in the shop. Cheap Chi-Com but they are supposedly rated at 300# each. Two should do the trick. Here is a link to a vid showing the arrangement.

Nice that they self steer easily, but I have to be easy changing from fwd to reverse to allow them to "catch up" with the sideload as they swivel. A bit of over steering helps, as you can see in the vid. That excess axle will be cut off.

I jumped up and down on them a few times, and at 260#, I did no damage. This should suffice for the rest of the season til I get the boat inside for the winter, where I can mod the trailer properly. I only need this for the next few weeks. First launch scheduled for Labor Day Weekend. Yay!

http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/OutnB ... 4026067993
Zac Penn

Post by Zac Penn »

That is pretty cool! I know of a single boat ramp around here that is very steep so my trailer should be okay there, but I might want to look into something like this for other ramps. Let us know how it progresses.
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Oh, I definitely will - especially in the case of Epic Fail. Saturday I'm strapping the boat/trailer to my shop. Then, a bit of jacking to break hull/bunk friction. A gentle tug with the Jeep should pull the trailer a few inches fwd to get the tongue weight down. Right now, I can barely lift it, and I'm pretty stout. I'm going to try and get a tongue weight of around 350#.

Those little tires will easily take that for a few launchings. There will be additional down pressure from the Jeep as well, but I think it'll be fine.

I just gotta get out. I plan to launch over the LD weekend and try to get a spot at the guest moorage dock at the marina for the week following so I don't have to take it home. I'm off that week and this will be a great local Stay-cation. I can get to know my boat, stay aboard and camp, or go home to my own bed - which is only 7 miles away. There's also a coupla nice brew pubs within staggering distance.

Or, the whole thing will collapse, the boat and trailer pop off the ball, breaking the safety, chain and end up in the drink (still attached), and someone will post it all on Youtube under "Stupid Boat People."