What did you replace the burlap cloth with?

Post your inside the boat topics here
N41EF

What did you replace the burlap cloth with?

Post by N41EF »

Took part of the boat apart to measure for an electrical panel which made me realize how nasty the cloth that covers the cubbies on my boat:

What did you guys use? I thought about a blue outdoor carpet, or a blue or brown vinal. I can scrape and pull the old stuff out then use spray adhesive to put it in. My boat's burlap hangs over the edge and goes under the wood trim.

Just looking for input and maybe picturs of what you guys did.

Thanks
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Blue outdoor carpet on EE and on the project boat as well, looks plush...thick enough that it hides any lumps of old glue too!!
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I knew I had a pic somewhere of how the blue carpet came out, click for larger pic...

N41EF

Post by N41EF »

The STBD side before:Image

The Port side afterwards:Image

I removed the lower and upper wood trim pieces, I pulled the burlap out. I scraped the glue off with a putty knife. There were dobs of somthing thicker and scrapped it with a razer. I wiped it down with an acetone rag, and though it still looked ugly was relatively smooth. The front edge had a bunch of glue residue so I scraped it with a razor and again used acetone to clean it up.

I used 6 foot wide navy blue outdoor carpet from Lowes and a can of 3M spay adhesive. I cut a strip 13.5 inches wide and 6 foot long, sprayed the glue and started at the top and worked the carpet in the curves. Trimed the edge with a razor and installed the wood strips. Behind where the electrical panel I drilled 4 1 inch holes to run battery and load wires down through.

I also remove both rear wooden shelves and pulled the burlap off. There were what seemed like a hundred staples to pull out. I'm thinking of sanding and priming then painting with the blue enamel I'm using on the rudder and hull.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Lookin' good !!!
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

While you have it apart, what size are the screws that hold the wood in place? My boat came with the wood removed and the glass cleaned up, but the screws to re-install are missing.

Thanks
Paul
Tranquil Chaos
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

As a guess, number 6 about an inch and a half long on bottom, and about an inch long on top. The bottom strip has the cup style washers on them. Stainless of course.

I'll take a picture and measure when I do the next section.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Thanks! It's apparent from the stains in the wood of mine that they had finish washers under the screw heads.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

I'm in the process of replacing the fabric with carpet. How did you guys do the overhead in the v-berth area?
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

tgentry wrote:I'm in the process of replacing the fabric with carpet. How did you guys do the overhead in the v-berth area?
In my case EE had nasty fabric up there when I got her. I just painted the surface once I go the messed cleaned up..
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

I spent a couple hours yesterday trying to get carpet to fit and look good. There doesn't seem to be a way to make that bend. I was starting to think "textured paint" myself.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
NYCSAILOR

Re: What did you replace the burlap cloth with?

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I removed the nasty burlap fabric and rotting foam and nasty glue a while ago --- I'm planning wood strips -- big job but would give it a warm yachty upgrade look -- not a large area so shouldn't be too pricey -- not sure what to do in the berths -- tempted to do the same... large winter job..
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343