Question: Strap location for hoisting a C26 out of a trailer

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Dayenu

Question: Strap location for hoisting a C26 out of a trailer

Post by Dayenu »

We just purchased our C26 along with a pristine trailer (New brakes, new bearings, new tires, new surge activator, new everything! (Still lots to share about this adventure!)

Our trailer is nearly immaculate and I don't want to immerse it in salt water (We're towing down to Los Angeles from Oregon for a week long shake down cruise within and just out of Marina del Rey (My old stomping/sailing grounds), then towing to San Carlos Mexico for two weeks cruising along the coast and islands.

Both locations have hoists with forward and rear straps...

Question... Has anyone had any experience hoisting C26's out of and back into trailers?

I'm wondering if the rear strap should be under the rear part of the swing keel, or just behind the swing keel...

I'm thinking that there would be less stress placing the hoisting strap just behind the swing keel allowing the keel to hang (in the up position)... and not placing the weight of the boat on the keel.

I'm hoping more for input from experience rather than speculation...

Thank you!

Best,
Richard & Tresa
What we now have, was once, only hoped for...
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome Aboard ! There's a pic of a fixed keel C26 in the straps at this page, and its strapped as you mentioned
http://www.sailingtexas.com/schrysler26101.html

Personally I'd say you are right, but I'd tend to let the marina decide - that way you are nowhere in the loop of blame if it slips out of the straps !

Sounds like a great trip coming up !
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Welcome Aboard, when it comes to the C-26 EE is the man. He always has the best advice.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Well maybe the "most" advice if not the "best". After all, I believe I am the only guy on the board dumb enough to own two of them.. 8)
Dayenu

How do I post photos?

Post by Dayenu »

Ok... when it comes to designing, engineering and fabricating, you'll be surprised to learn what I've created (Many will recognize my movie props, toy designs etc....)

BUT... when it comes to computers.... OMG!

I just wrote a long post thanking and trying to post some photos... LOST everything!

Searched a while within the forum for instructions that might have already been posted and learned that a lot of you use "photobucket"???? well, I created an account (a MAJOR accomplishment for me), but now... how do I bring them into a post here?

Would love to share...

Best,
Richard

Mostly though.... THANK YOU for your input and advice and just being here with your generosity and willingness to help a fellow sailor... GREAT, POSITIVE energy!

:)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

A handy dandy set of instructions right here !
viewtopic.php?t=1373
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard!

While your boat is on the trailer, go to west marine and get some small arrow stickers to put on your toe rail.

Then tell the yard you want the straps "There" you can direct them to put straps on your hull avoiding the knotmeter or any other items you have in your hull.

Granted, it seems silly while on the trailer however you will be very glad you did this when you take the boat out of the water!! You can tell them exactly where you want the straps.

Scott
Dayenu

Thank you so much!

Post by Dayenu »

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

A Beauty ! Don't think I've ever seen a stern berth that nice !
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Looks like a !979 C-26, an may be the best looking one out there. Hope you in joy your sailing trip. We love sailing photos, pleas post lots of them
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Welcome aboard and as for your question I agree with Scott on the arrows and after seeing the pic from the port side you are going forward of the rollers and aft of the rollers at the stern. Nice looking 26 better than mine I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. it looks like a 79 or 80 like mine the last 3 characters in the Id # is year and month mine is 80A and it was built in Aug. of 1980 B would be Sept and so on. Also last but not least enjoy your trip and I am going to mount my radio like yours.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Dayenu

Post by Dayenu »

again, thanks for all the input and help...

At first i thought marking the boat for straps didn't make any sense... I mean, I can see where they go...

But of course, that's when the boat is on the trailer, not in the water! (totally laughing at myself here!) I will mark the toe rail area when we're in Los Angeles right before we pull the boat off the trailer...

Still working like crazy... it's weird to not have "absolutely have to get done" boat tasks before we leave in July... This C-26 was cared for like I have never seen any boat cared for before... ALL receipts for EVERYTHING (nuts, bolts, cleaning fluids... EVERYTHING! This boat was so dearly loved... There are a few items i want to do like LED lighting, installing the new Garmin 640 GPS unit, fans maybe a temporary extension of the galley cabinet for the new microwave ( I want to spend some time creating a nice teak cabinet with drawers and thin Corian top, but that means building the refrigerator/freezer and that means the rear tower to hold the 200~300 watt solar panels, and the inverter and new power distribution panel and teak interior companionway bulkhead covers...

I can be day dreaming like this as I stopped work to eat lunch and just came on line to see what everyone was up to...

We're really looking forward to this trip... Recently reserved our slip and dry dock storage at marina San Carlos ($411 for crane haul in and out, enclosed storage for truck and trailer and slip with electricity, water, bathrooms and showers for two weeks! What a deal!)

Yeah, it's REALLY weird not having major work to do before cruising... I actually feel guilty watching you guys work so hard for so long before putting in... I've been there... several times... a Gladiator 24 (COMPLETE rebuild in and out), a 1964 Columbia 26 I bought as salvage, hull, deck and mast... nothing else... 2 years of work.... my last Chrysler 26... a hull that made Bonnie and Clyde's last car look mirror smooth (hundreds of large blisters! ), never got to sail her :( sold her to pay for our current home...

Tresa keeps telling me to let go of the guilt and enjoy... I've paid my dues, spent countless nights kept awake from fiberglass filaments, nauseous days from epoxying inside boat cabins, you guys know what I'm talking about....

We're planning to take her to the truck scales in the next week or two to get an accurate weight for the boat and trailer, tongue weight, rear and front truck axle weight and truck curb weight so we can do the math and hopefully make it inside the legal limits... Our truck is a 1998 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4, extended cab, short bed with the HD suspension, oil cooler and a 5.7 liter Vortex V8 Gas engine... rated for somewhere between 6,500# and 7,800# towing capacity(I've got two separate GM source specs.... I'm playing it safe and going by the lower rating...

We're emptying the boat including house and starting batteries, water tanks and rear cushions for the weighing... I'm taking an educated guess that if we can get the boat trailer to come in at or under 6,500#, that there will be left over GVW to carry more in the truck and still be under spec limits all the way around.... We rented a 3/4 ton Chevy to bring her home from California... trailer was perfectly balance and could not feel like we were towing anything... Trailer has new HD tires, new brakes, (shoes and drums) as well as new surge activator/hitch so I totally trust the trailer's condition and balance....

Anyone towing their C26's with similar half ton trucks? We drive very conservatively, and for this trip, plan on driving no more than 400 miles per day, just taking it easy at 55mph or below (less strain on the vehicles and less strain on our bodies.

ok... back to work... no more guilt. just enjoy and thank the universe for the gift we received!

Did I share the new name? (YES, we have ALL the ritualistic procedures for de-naming and re-naming and wouldn't even think about tempting fate or Neptune!

The old name was "Easy Street"... the new name will be "Dayenu" (it means "It would have been enough" It's the name for a song thanking God for what we have and as each participant adds what they are grateful for, the chorus: "Dayenu" is sung by all... We get all of this and there's more? Like this boat?!? Tresa and I feel so grateful for our lives and each other.... and then to have this incredible dream boat find us... well... all I have to say is: "Dayenu"!

ok... until next time

Thanks again, comforting knowing you guys are all here!

Best,
Richard
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Richard, welcome aboard. You found a real gem! Thanks for posting pictures for the rest of drool over. It's always nice to get ideas from what others have done too.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Oh, and to answer your question, I tow Copacetic with a Ford E-150, 5.4 and trailer package. No issues at all, but going up what passes for hills around here I'm sure glad I don't have the 4.6.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
Dayenu

Post by Dayenu »

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the input.... Went to your website... a LOT of work! Made for a beautiful boat... LOVED your paint job and logo!

Curious what your truck was "officially" rated for regarding towing capacity... Seems to be a lot of variables between manufacturers/brands and years (even within the 1/2 ton large V8 range... )

We have a 5.7 liter (VORTEC) GM gas engine (we're getting a new brake job, flushing the transmission and getting a transmission cooler installed. I don't think we have an engine oil cooler, but do have gagues for oil pressure and engine temp... our radiator needs a new cap (to allow the coolanet to go back into the resevoir, but the radiator stays full and never had any overheating problems...

Thanks!

Best,
Richard
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

You have very Nice looking sailboat... here is an old photo of my C26 being lifted onto its trailer.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Oday 22' 1973
Old Yellow (for now)
Dayenu

Post by Dayenu »

so does yours!

I look at a hull and a deck and I see a blank canvas on which to paint... You C-26 looked better than My first C-26...

My third full keel boat ( a 1964 Columbia 26) ... I fell in love with her hull from down below a very tall cradle... I decided to buy her and then climbed up on a ladder to view the top sides.... Tears...... this thing had been neglectd beyond belief....

I still bought her.... a hull attached to a deck, a mast but no boom, no spreaders, no rigging of any type and the wood (hatches, etc could be crubled in your hand making an egg seem stronger...

Three years later it was a beauty (I'll have to post before and after photos...)

Is the photo how you bought her?, work in progress?
Thanks for sharing!

Best,
Richard
(Still wierd finding such a finished C-26 completed at levels I would have done... at least there's the blister repairs this fall and some wood work to re-do....) LOL!
yeah... still laughing to myself in disbelief!
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

The photo is as I found her... I like your terminology of a blank canvas... but as fate would have it I'm a slow painter. You sound like you really know your sailboats you as others on this forum are and can be a real asset to those of us relatively new to this game. My number of posts only confirms that I talk a lot... my real hands on knowledge is meager at best. Here is a couple more photos of where I was to where I'm at.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Oday 22' 1973
Old Yellow (for now)
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

:) Wow! That is an improvement! :) I like the forward locker.
C-26
Hunter 29.5
adamh

Post by adamh »

Terrence, I just might have to borrow your idea for those side access holes. :D
Adam

1978 C-26 s/v "Alpha"
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

that is the boat that was SN691 on the forum hope he is still around
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
Dayenu

Post by Dayenu »

HOLEY SMOKES!!!!! :shock: :D :shock: :D

What an increddible job! There's no "slow" about it... a job like that has to take time to get it right.... From what I see, it couldn't get any more "right"..

And yea, mee too! lol I like those side hatches! 8)

Great work!

THANK YOU FOR SHARING!

Wonderful inspiration for the rest of us! (I'll remember you photos when I begin the blister job this fall....! LOL!)

Best,
Richard
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

Lecker68 that was our boat, she could not have found a better home. She will go places and see things that we never dreamed of.
The photos that Richard has were taken in our yard when we bought the boat in 2007.
I still check in 4 or 5 times a week see what is going on and how every one is doing.

Bob
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
Dayenu

Post by Dayenu »

Hi Bob!

So glad to see you here....

still amazed that we were the lucky ones to receive your deliciously wonderful Chrysler!

Still planning on starting an introduction thread with stories and more photos, plans for modifications (I havce to find SOMETHING to work on!) I still remember your giving Tresa and I the tour beofre we bought her... all I kept thinking was" Geeze! Isn't there somthing for me to do?" I was happy to find several small pieces of teak trim that I could re-varnish! (VERY small pieces of teak! LOL! :D

Mexico is still in our sights, a lot of the research is done and contact has been made in Mexico for slip, dry storage haul in/ haul out etc....

until then, I'm still swamped with wrok...

Hope you and your wife are doing well.... Tresa and I still think of you (and sending you an email with photos of us having our anniversary dinner aboard our new C-26 in the driveway! pretending we're in some secluded cove in the Sea of Cortez!)

Richard
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Glad to see you are still around Bob and maybe another Chrysler will find you or follow you home and she did find a good home.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway