C22 Outboards

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
DVD

C22 Outboards

Post by DVD »

As there seems to be a lot of perceived value on used outboards these days, and I need to buy one, does anyone know if a short shaft will work on the C22 with the standard dropping mount? I am looking to open up my choices in the used $$ market.
:lol: thx dvd
double "D"

Post by double "D" »

White Water to Waves
1974 22' Sandpiper Frayed Knot
1995 20'Bayliner
14' River Raft
14' Canoe
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Measure from the top of the outboard mount where the motor hangs to the bottom of the transom on your boat with the bracket lowered. This can differ from boat to boat depending on where the outboard bracket is mounted.

That is the minimum length the outboard must have from the part where it hangs on the bracket to the cavitation plate. This is for reasonably calm waters. The rougher the seas, the longer the shaft you would like!

Hmm, hope I explained that well! LOL!

Scott
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Measure from top of outboard mount where the motor hangs to center of prop. A long shaft is 20 inches, A extra long shaft is 25 inches best used on sailboats. Look for a 6 HP to 10 HP 25 inch shaft ( thy are mostly used on sailboats, so thy will have a lot less use. Even a old one can be a good one. Find a lot of help hear for Chrysler Sailer Outboards
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

I would only go with a long shaft on my C22.

Case and point. Me solo sailing, chop on the water, me on the bow dropping the Jib. I'm much thinner then my old 300+ pounds but the prop was breaking the surface in the chop more then I would like.

Be prepared long shaft is my $0.02 worth.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing