Bilges Buoancy and Electronics

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
DVD

Bilges Buoancy and Electronics

Post by DVD »

Someone asked me about the bilge on a C22, and I am now realizing there isn't one? Also, I thought I read about built in buoancy but haven't been able to find out more? Finally, is it just my boat or are there not standard electronics on/off switch panels on these 1976 models?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Both 79 C26's I have worked on had no switch panels, just the fuse panel..before I got one for Exit we would just insert and remove fuses, nav lights included. Crazy.

22's have flotation foam ( I think), 26's have concrete and lead instead which is a running joke with me...have to let the 22 guys describe where tho, I forgot exactly..
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

The starboard settee is loaded with a spray-in type foam. Mine was swamped causing the boat to list significantly. I cut the settee open and removed all the foam. Boat leveled right out.

I haven't opened any other area, but I suspect there is more foam up forward of the bulkhead on the starboard side, and under the storage area in the v-berth.
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

No real standard electronics, switches and such. The only thing is a light above the table in the none pop top models and the running lights.

Two of mine have had a pull out swith on the port side near the aft end of the lazerette. The switch turned on the running lights.

Scott
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

My 22 has wiring under the port side cupholders, but no switch or fuse panel to be found. It does have the dome light above the table. I am not sure what was stock and what wasn't.

I am going to do what many other C22 guys on here have, and mount my fused switch panel on the port wall below the cup holders.

The C22 manual does say that the boat has flotation foam and should be very difficult to sink.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

CUPHOLDERS! :shock: :wink: Sure most of us C22 owners would not know were the cupholders are since that is not a standard feature on a C22.

As for flotation foam, looks for chrome plugs, this is where the factory injected the foam between the liner and the hull along the starboard side (left of the cooler in pict).
I also beleave there is foam under the v-birth and between the liner and the hull on back under the platforms/floor in the cock-pit storage lockers. I also have foam in the transom on each side of the fuel locker behind the short bulkheads on both sides.

As mcrandall noted that starboard side can be more of a sponge than flotation. I too also spect my foam is holding water on the starboard side, this spring I'll find out.

Let us know about the placement of your cupholders 8)
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

In my 1976...

Flotation: Spray in foam in the Starboard Settee. Spray in foam on ether side of the fuel storage locker, under the back of the cockpit. Oh and surprise, surprise, the mast has spray foam in it at the bottom for about 2 feet.

The PO had taken out most of the wires and all of the OEM switches which I never saw. Now all the electrical fixtures as in lights, were all 1976 Chrysler CAR parts inside. All corroded brake light and running light bulbs in the bow, dome light, running lights everything.

The PO put in a very nice fuse block/electrical panel with all the lights and all the wire I needed to re-wire the boat was under the settee's ready to install. I gutted out 100% of the old fixtures and put in new marine grade LED's. So when I got the boat all I had to do was replace the fixtures, run the new wires and it was done. LOVED IT!

I like my boat to look and sail OEM, but anything crusty that gets in the way of easy functionality is GONE. Like my old rotary phone from 1976. :lol: I carefully selected my new electrical fixtures to look like my old fixtures on the outside. Insides are all this century.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

One thing we haven't touched on from the OP's questions - where is the "bilge"? I am just beginning my refit and haven't looked to hard yet, but I have no idea where I am going to put my bilge pump.

The easy solution seems to be the forward most section of the coffin. Everything seems to angle from aft to the point... but That does nothing for the front half of the boat. Thoughts?

I have heard putting it in the keel pin area but how would you fit a bilge pump or sensor in there?
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

I put my bilge pump with an electronic sensor right under the keel winch. It will take at least three inches of water in the walkway before it comes on, but putting it at the lowest point (keel pin) would be a terrible trip hazard.

There is no bilge per se in the C22. The only space there is between the inner liner (cabin sole) and the outer hull is filled haphazardly with adhesive foam.

The keel housing separates the side berth/table area from the main walkway, so you don't have any connection there. When my windows leak on the port side, there is a little bit of water in that area. The most water I have ever had in the boat is about an inch at the keel pin due to life line stanchion leaks.

Another owner at one point suggested a remote bilge pump with a hose running to the keel pin area of the walkway. This would probably be the least intrusive and lowest point a pickup could be located.

I'm happy with mine where it is. The boat rarely gets any water in it now and what does get in I wipe up with a sponge.

Keep in mind, a 3/4" hole in the boat would overpower almost any bilge pump you are likely to put in, unless you size it for such an occurrance.

My next bilge pump addition will be a remote mount manual pump to help the electric one should I need it.

My boat is a 1976 model, and as others have posted, floatation foam is in the starboard settee, under the two small flat areas at the cockpit lockers, and both sides of the fuel compartment.

My V berth area is wide open with no foam forward of the V berth bulkhead. I keep my sails in there. There is also a little foam on the starboard side of the V berth between the V berth bulk head and the chain plate bulkhead.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
DVD

Wow what a team!

Post by DVD »

I have been sailing a long time and have never run into such a great users group! As these boats are rather unique, having the insight and ideas of everyone is a true additional pleasure of owning a C22. If anyone sails on the Gulf Coast of Florida, please let me know. I would like to go out once before launching my soon to be restored to new condition '76.

:D
DVD
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

I don't know what it is, but it seems that the Chrysler sailing forum members are just more friendly, humble, and willing to help. I've never seen anyone try to flame or berate someone else for anything. I'm proud to be associated with such a group of genuinely nice folks.

On the electrical, my 1976 did not have any to speak of. The PO installed a six circuit fuse panel, and I completely rewired the boat when I got it.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Another idea on the bilge pump which I did on my C22.

Just under the companionway near the winch there is a piece of wood glassed in for support from the factory.

I installed a self priming pump there with 6 foot of pickup hose. This way I can put the hose in a cubby, under the table, in the storage area , or just on the cabin floor and suck water out of the boat just like a mini shop vac!

Works exceptionaly well for my needs!

Scott
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

Excellent! I too have that wood panel glassed in, but am thinking of mounting the bilge to the coffin side of the panel to keep it out of site. Then, I will use a manual bilge if need be for the cabin floor.

DVD - I agree! I had my 22 before I found this group and already fell in love with it. This group is a HUGE added bonus to ownership of a Chrysler. Excellent people here and I am very glad to have been accepted as a part of it
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

The reason I mounted mine forward is because I bought a nice pump with a brass housing and impeller. The impeller is the weak point in the pump and will go bad in time with heavy use or even lack of use. As such the pump is quite rebuildable. I wanted easy access.

Historically I have had bad experiences with the submersible "Rule" type plastic pumps. Short lived, not fixable, and generally a pita. The bulge pump we have in Destiny has never failed over the 9 years we've owned her. So I bit the bullet and bought an expensive pump for Lady Jo. Even though I have a brand new and unopened box with a rule pump in it.

This is just my personal experience however think about your boat having a foot of water in it. You need to pump it out. The electric pump for some reason does not work and you need to get to it and fix it . . . . . . .

I will openly admit though, I am much harder on my bilge pumps than most. I believe Alan will remember why! LOL!

Scott