c-26 outboard questions - what to do with the throttle.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
KeyWest

c-26 outboard questions - what to do with the throttle.

Post by KeyWest »

I've posted before, but it's been a while. The boat we acquired a few years ago is still on the hard. I got rid of the 9.9hp Honda, I had no way of fixing it, no facilities, knowledge, etc.

I'm really fretting about what motor to put on this boat. I want to use the original motor mount. Someone had built a larger box around it with all kinds of weird materials, including some kind of foam and aluminum pieces. It was all rotten and I pulled it off. Fortunately, the original mount was pretty much unscathed underneath..

Now I just want to put a simple 6hp long shaft motor on it. One which will fit the space allotted.

It's a very small space, which brings me to my question: What do you all do with the throttle that sticks forward out of the motor? The pictures I've seen of motors on the C26 don't show this. How can I tilt the motor forward if the throttle is in the way?
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Good question KeyWest... I too will be crossing this bridge at some point on my C26. I've seen some of the C26 sailors build a small extension on the original motor mount to accommodate tilt problems. The old ugly box you spoke of was most likely a P.O's attempt to do the same. If you are not going any larger than a 6hp, I would think somewhere out there you could find a motor that would fit with no tilt problems. This could be just wishful thinking on my part. Good luck and keep us posted.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I added remote controls to my motor, and removed the throttle arm. Not sure you'll be happy with a 6hp on that boat. Will be ok in flat water no wind conditions, but in a situation like upwind docking it may be a challenge.

You could go the route of ignoring the original mount, and add a Garelick lift that's sized to fit the motor you choose, and mounted to the transom to one side of the original mount.

Planning on removing EE's original mount and doing just that when she's repowered...
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

I agree with EE on using a Garelick mount mounted off center.I have to have my rudder up to get into my dock and that does not work well with the motor in the center.I bought a Honda 15 and Garelick mount from Frank several years ago when he was selling his 26. He had the Garelick mounted off the back of the beefed up factory mount.

Once I have the motor moved I'm thinking about a swim platform to take its place in the center.

My other boats have mounts to port and I can use the tiller handle for throttle and steering.

Tohatsu makes a great sailboat motor. They make a four stroke 25" shaft with a high thrust prop and an alternator. I have borrowed a 6hp and really liked it. I'm going to order one for another boat when it gets closer to boating season. Like EE said 6hp would be marginal for a 26. They make a 9.8 you can get with electric start.
Clair
KeyWest

Post by KeyWest »

How do you mount the Garelick mount? I looked at one and it's got a lot of screw holes, what does that attach to if I mount it to the side of the original mount on the boat? There's no support structure, the transom is just a thin layer of fiberglass, isn't it? How is that going to support a 90 lb outboard?

I hate large motors, I hate a motor I can't lift by myself. I hate motors, period. There's a huge jump in weight and size between a 6 hp and an 8 hp motor. Besides, obviously this boat was designed NOT to have a large motor.

When I had to move the boat to the boatyard where she sits now, I borrowed a 3.5 h.p motor from a friend and motored it several miles around the island, with all its currents, etc. No sails. It was totally fine. I don't see how a 6 hp would be wrong. I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere, and I'd rather sail than motor. Interference with the tiller concerns me though, if I mount the motor to the original mount, although it didn't seem to be a problem with the 3.5 hp I borrowed. We had no occasion to tilt the motor out of the water though, so I don't remember how much clearance there was between the throttle and the transom. I was hoping someone else here had experiences with a less-than-9 hp motor on a c26.

My C26 is a fixed keel, btw. There's no reason to ever raise the rudder, although oddly, it has that capability.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

If needed you can add/glass a piece of ply on the inside on the transom to spread the weight and support the lift and the motor. There's a bit of measuring involved mounting it, high enough to lift motor out of water, low enough to get the plate under, but the instructions cover that nicely. Another benefit is that you may not need a 25" shaft with a lift - a 20" shaft may do, and that's a cost/weight saving right there.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Have no fear Key West when you tilt the engine the handle will fold up you put the handle in the hole and it will fold when tilted that is what I do with my 15 hp Johnson.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
KeyWest

Post by KeyWest »

lecker68 wrote:Have no fear Key West when you tilt the engine the handle will fold up you put the handle in the hole and it will fold when tilted that is what I do with my 15 hp Johnson.
Lecker, are you mounting that motor to the original mount? Isn't a 15 hp motor too large for that?
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4068/4687 ... 0ec6_m.jpg KeyWest hear is a photo of lecker68 out board. Nice photos
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

At first glance it looks like the Johnson 15hp motor is placed directly on the old C26 motor mount. I too am curious about the weight... has any beefing up of the old mount been done? Lecker68 if possible more photos of this setup would be greatly appreciated.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/ go to page 7 for more photos, thank you Lyel. I am sure it is a 2-stroke, about 50#
KeyWest

Post by KeyWest »

Chrysler20%26 wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/ go to page 7 for more photos, thank you Lyel. I am sure it is a 2-stroke, about 50#
That explains the size. Are new 2 strokes still being sold in the U.S.?
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

My 15 is a 2 stroke and tilts well as you can see.
15c by lecker68, on Flickr

15g by lecker68, on Flickr
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Thanks for the photos everyone, I've heard that 2 stroke motors are loud and bad on gas and oil. Is what I've heard true... even if it is, if a 2 stroke motor will fit the old Chrysler motor mount with out a major beef-up it maybe a even trad-off.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

2 strokes do not get the hours per gallon of a 4 stroke but not bad and yes louder as the cowl could be better insulated they are much lighter than 4 strokes check the height of the cowl I had a 4 hp Johnson 4 stroke and it would not tilt because the cover hit.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway