Finally!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Gus

Finally!

Post by Gus »

The girl is back home with me. I went to get it out of the property where she stayed while I was in Afghanistan. The boat was extremely dirty, and I'm glad I got most of the crud with the pressure washer.

Tomorrow, I'm hauling her to the DIY boat yard, and I'm getting started to fix all that needs fixing. I'm not going to lie, I am thinking in moving up to a bigger boat, I have my sights in a CD 25, but for now, I'm sticking with my C-22 :)

Gus

Image[/img]

1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome home to you and the boat!
Scottt
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Welcome back, and thanks for your service Gus! Nice boat, a little TLC is all she needs. Of course a CD 25 is a very nice boat too!
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Gus
As is well known the C22 is a respectable sailboat, but I can see where the need for more room etc. does come into play from time to time. I know nothing about the CD25, but a good old boat is a good old boat. The C26 I'm tinkering with is my first and I'm sure I paid to much for it in hind sight, but I'm enjoying the learning curve and the new skills required.... old dogs like a new bone. It's not a sin to stray from the chrysler line, but there are a number of C26s to be found out there if you look around. My C26 is a poor example in the state that it is in, but stop by if you want to get a feel of the size and what a C26 can offer if you have not seen one up close before.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Gus

Post by Gus »

Well, the old girl is in the boat yard. I'm working on a) making something to eat and b) gathering all the things I need to take over there.

Nice boat yard. Electricity and water, and not too expensive (100 bucks for a month without using the lift).

Next step is to make some sawhorses, and get the mast off the boat. I also need to get something to clean the deck. I was thinking in using Star Brite Deck Cleaner with PTEF, if I can find it locally. Leaving the boat under those trees wasn't a very bright idea :(
Gus

Post by Gus »

Hi Terrence!

I had the pleasure to visit Windward when Jeff came down with his family for the 2010 Pirate's Sail (I could be wrong, I need to check the photos). If you want to get together, just let me know, and we can work something out.

Although I do like the C-26, and I do enjoy sailing my C-22 (she always brought me back), I don't want a boat with a swing keel. I like the traditional look of the Cape Dory under the water line. The keel runs the length of the boat, and that's a good thing, considering how much I run aground when I sail! I do like the design of the boat altogether. Another boat that I would like to take a closer look is the Catalina 25.

Time will tell, for now, I have enough trying to get my old girl back into shape :)

Gus
hp18carr wrote:Gus
As is well known the C22 is a respectable sailboat, but I can see where the need for more room etc. does come into play from time to time. I know nothing about the CD25, but a good old boat is a good old boat. The C26 I'm tinkering with is my first and I'm sure I paid to much for it in hind sight, but I'm enjoying the learning curve and the new skills required.... old dogs like a new bone. It's not a sin to stray from the chrysler line, but there are a number of C26s to be found out there if you look around. My C26 is a poor example in the state that it is in, but stop by if you want to get a feel of the size and what a C26 can offer if you have not seen one up close before.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

:D Welcome back, Gus and thanks for your service. :D
C-26
Hunter 29.5
Gus

Post by Gus »

Rivercruiser wrote::D Welcome back, Gus and thanks for your service. :D
Thank you :)
Gus

Post by Gus »

Round one is over

Got all the stuff OUT of the boat. I thew away a bunch of stuff that was rusted or water damaged.

Hopefully tomorrow morning I'll get the interior clean, so I can concentrate in cleaning the outside.

I felt so bad when I open the boat. I took so much care of her. Being sick sucks, and going on deployment sucks even more, but I'm trying to put all that behind me.

Well, at least I'm glad I don't have to fix THIS boat :)

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Having a boat waiting for you, one to come home to is a good thing, even if she gets a bit neglected along the way..
enjoy !
Gus

Post by Gus »

Well, long day at the boat yard, I had to cut it short thanks to Sandy. Most of the exterior is clean. Amazing how fast our boats will clean up! I used Walmart's cleaner with bleach, and I worked most of the deck with green pads.

Hopefully tomorrow I can tackle the interior!

I need a new tiller, and I broke one of the companionway hatch rails, so I have to make new ones. Ports leak. I've been thinking in replacing them with opening ports, but I don't really want to put a lot of money into the boat :)
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay