C-22 Mast rake

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

C-22 Mast rake

Post by Banshi »

Well I stepped the mast yesterday and then leveled the waterline on the boat today and my mast appears to be raked forward about the width of the mast. We always raced lightnings with the mast raked back and the instructions say it should be raked back slightly, so the question is, how much adjustment do the lower turn buckles have on the forestay. I guess to be safe I could hook up the jib halyard to the bow plate just encase I go to far and then adjust away. Any comments on the rake?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Banshi, backstay to adjust rake to just aft of plumb, then shrouds for mast bend, right ?
Gus

Post by Gus »

my rigging its so streached out, that I have the backstay turnbuckle all the way screwed it. I eye ball the rake anyhow, but its something I'd like to get tuned one of these days...
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

With the way these things are rigged it will have to be a combination of both the forestay and backstay ( Mine are already both pretty tight). I'm just not sure how much adjustment there is in the turnbuckle......one turn to many and pop..........creeeeeeeek.....timber........................crash :) I'll just have to hook up the jib halyard as a back up.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Well I got it pretty close to plumb, I'll wait until it is in the water before I adjust to much more...................oh and no pop..........creeeeeeeek.....timber........................crash :)

My back stay is getting pretty close to being adjusted out as well. After rigging the whole thing I found both jibs sheets and the main are about 5 feet short, they are old anyways so I'll replace them with some slightly longer lengths. The main would be long enough except for erection duties. Imagine your dropping your 27 ft mast by yourself when suddenly 4 feet short of resting it down on a support, your hand holding on to the end of your main sheet, hits the lower block :shock: Quoting Taylor (Charlton Heston) from the end of the movie " Planet of the Apes" kneeled down in the beach sand.......DYATH ! :lol:
Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

mine too are stretched out, I'll jack the mast base by 1.5" to have more adjustement in the turnbuckle
Gus

Post by Gus »

if the backstay is stretched, means its time to replace it (I wanted to replace my entire standing rigging last year BTW)

If I remember correctly, you want a bit of rake aft in the mast to help with the weather helm.

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595