lazy jack

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hadaveha

lazy jack

Post by hadaveha »

anyone ever use a jack line or lazy jack down haul system for their jib. I single hand alot and these look they would make life alot better.I found this looks simple enough

http://www.widgetsailor.com/myboat/downhaul/index.html
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I made a simple downhaul for the Cal21 when I had it. Just ran a line from the cockpit thru a couple of fairleads to a block at the forestay then up to the jib head. The foredeck on the Cal was small and I didn't like going up there in a bounce or when singlehanding. Worked fine to haul the jib down in a hurry..
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I was just thinking about how I was going to install a downhaul for my jib and here is a great answer...fabulous!!!
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

That is a pretty neat set up!
Being able to douse the jib in a hurry is pretty cool.

Scott
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

David thank you for the post, vary well done. Roller Furling is the best but if don't have one. Then your set up would be the way to go.
Ty
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ty »

I could have used this last Saturday. I will be setting this up on my C-22. It is not much fun going up to the front to pull down the jib during heavy winds. Thanks for the great information.
C-22 Dreamer
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

My forestay had a spare hole so I put a shackle there and run a small line from the cockpit, through a fairlead to the shackle, then through the jib stays to the head of the sail. I can loosen the halyard and bring the jib down quickly. What I like about this set up is the capability to collapse the jib whithout lowering it.

Thanks
Tranquil Chaos
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Cool!

As Ty knows, the jib/jenny won't come down all the way in strong winds and it is spooky up front, especlly if caught by unforecasted winds and your solo!

My set up is similiar to Pauls, but this sounds better. Having the sail collapse and balled up some would keep the jenny outta the water and catch less wind until you were in calmer conditions...