Lone Star 13 Refurbishing Project

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Mfoxchicago

Lone Star 13 Refurbishing Project

Post by Mfoxchicago »

Fellow sailors please help! I have finally decided to refurbish my LS13.

In preparation for sanding and painting, my first task was the removal of the old dried out rub rail. This revealed a 24-30" section of separation of the Deck & Hull joint on the Port side aft due to the rub rail being damaged or parted from the joint. The fiberglass of both the Deck and the Hull in the separation area looks sound; it appears to just be years of saturated flotation foam under the deck fitting that has caused this condition. The Hull does not want to give at all in rejoining the Deck joint.

What are my options for repairing this situation so that when (and if ) I locate a new rub rail I will be able to install it properly? Should this be filled and then sanded down fair to receive the new rub rail...?????

Also, has anyone ever dealt with locating a modern replacement rub rail for for this charming little classic?

I welcome your suggestions.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Have you any pics of the damaged area you can post ? Might help give someone on the board a reminder of work they've done on their particular boat.

Good Luck With The Project !
Mfoxchicago

Post by Mfoxchicago »

Thanks EmergencyExit, good suggestion. I will try and take some pixs tomorrow.

Earlier today, I spoke with a great Sailboat Tech support rep at West Marine.

Basically, he said that I will have to clear out as much of the swollen & contaminated flotation foam that was injected between the Deck and Hull joint when the boat was manufactured that is preventing the joint from coming back together. Then fill the gap with Epoxy filler, bring the joint as much back together as I can and then re-fiberglass the new joint, trim, sand and then paint. A bit more work then I had wanted, but guess it will have to be done.

Happy to hear your thoughts.