My first sail

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Chrysler20%26

My first sail

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

First thing, check the weather. Winds west to north west 10 to 15 knots with gusts to 25 knots. OK one guy an his sail boat shake down sail. Outboard runs great, water pump works. So out I go, off sure wind so the bay is com. And only 5 other boats fishing, so I have the lake mostly to my self. First two hours, nice sailing then the 25 knot winds kick in. An gusts to 35 but the waves are only 2to3 foot so steal not to bad. I sail two more hours, have another beer an have a good sail. Time to head in for home, sail back into bay near river entrance. Roller Furling works great then I drop the main sail. In the time it takes to take in the main sail, with a 25 to 35 knot wind I am almost 4 miles out. Outboard start up ok, I have to go into the wend to get in. An it takes all the power my 12.9 Chrysler 280 has to turn to boat in to the wind, but once into the wind I cut back on power an have a nice ride in. Back to my dock, wind 25 knots, heading into the wind ok, but I need to make a hard left turn into my slip. Worst docking I ever had, used the line from the roller furling to hold the front of boat to dock wile I poled the stern in. Glad no one was around to see that, no harm done to boat. Went Sailing Got Home: Was A Good Day
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

"Went sailing got home."

If by the end of the day you can say that... it's all good, what sailboat were you sailing?

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sounds like an exciting day to go sailing!
Glad all is well!

Scott
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Sounds like a wonderful shakedown Bob! Sun,wind, waves, good motor, celebratory sailing beer...... and a safe return

Docking hmmm..., I'm 80% OK on the C-20 myself. Only one really bad one and I'm FINALLY finishing up the keel repair on that! Fairing it out today and painting tomorrow and sailin' on Saturday :D It's turning out flippin' beautiful if I do say do myself, and I do! BTW, I did end up going with epoxy because I had good resin left over from my Widgeon repair.
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Yea I love it!

Glad it went well for ya!
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

Sounds like a good time. Was this yesterday? I was out with 5 friends, decent breeze all evening, 5 minute before we reached home the wind jumped to 20mph. As soon as the I got bow pointed into my slip the wind caught the boat and pushed us into my neighbor, no harm we were able to fend off. Backed out and tried again, same outcome, so I went down row figuring I could turn around and head into wind and make my dock. To put it mildly, we must have looked like we were in a pinball game. Hit a main dock, two catwalks, luckily not another boat before I managed to make it into my slip.
My worst docking ever, and with 5 people on board. Must have been something in the air last night.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My first sail

Post by EmergencyExit »

Chrysler20%26 wrote: Glad no one was around to see that, no harm done to boat. Went Sailing Got Home: Was A Good Day
Sounds like a good day indeed ! (Somebody is ALWAYS around when I dock badly...once perfectly sailed EE into her slip solo, was anybody around ? Of course not...)