Big problems for a big weekend

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
DiverDarren

Big problems for a big weekend

Post by DiverDarren »

I am going to need some help from you guys on this one.

My issue is that the hole in the base of my (c22) mast, Which normally holds the pin for stepping the mast with the boom/gin pole, has sheared in a way that makes the hole unusable... Does anyone have a system for raising the mast that does not use the pin in the base of the mast?

I am hoping to be able to get her out to the Lake Erie islands this Saturday 5/12 so trying to find a new mast base is out of the question...
[/img]
Darren
1984 Siren 17
"The Ocean weeds out, from all the races of mankind that come upon it to make a living, a certain type of person. This type of person stays with the ocean, and the rest are cast back ashore to deal with the land people."
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

That bites!

My Catalina project came with tripod system. A 6-8 inch wheel sheave at the top allows you to pass a cable/rope over top. The sides are anchored to the toe rail, by the shrouds, and at the forestay anchor, attaching it at the aft hole the jib tack would go in, or, at the forward cleat. It is made of pipe and rather heavy, and would require some fab work.

I'm sure if you googled it something similiar would show up...

Good luck!
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Fix the hole, or reinforce it some way. That is the best way to raise the mast.
FranS

Post by FranS »

A crane would work... Sorry that was not helpful,
Nicknick32

Post by Nicknick32 »

Yes, the old boy I bought my boat from last year made his owen little thing to help with the mast. I will try and get some pics today and will post them somt=e time tonight. I'm not sure if it will be helpful but its worth a shot.

Oh and if you seen the pics of the boat that sank they had a diver in the water that look just like your avatar pic! cool job.
John K

Post by John K »

Sorry for your troubles Darren. My mast step is a big stainless U shaped bracket with slots in either side. One of the previous owners drilled a hole through the mast. When I step the mast, I just put the big bolt through the bracket and mast with a washer, install another washer and a locknut, and up she goes. It works well. Just hoping to give you some kind of inspiration. Good luck!
1977 C22: Dog House
DiverDarren

Post by DiverDarren »

A picture is worth a thousand words.

What to do?
Darren
1984 Siren 17
"The Ocean weeds out, from all the races of mankind that come upon it to make a living, a certain type of person. This type of person stays with the ocean, and the rest are cast back ashore to deal with the land people."
John K

Post by John K »

Oh, the hole in the front is messed up! Heck, you just need a couple of guys to help you get the mast up. Get one guy on the ground in front of the boat pulling on the jib halyard, and two guys in the cockpit/on the hatch to lift it up. It will come up fine. That's how I did it two weeks ago. No, it's not ideal, but you'll be on the water.

EDIT: you'll need to tie a line to the shackle on the end of the jib halyard.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

YA!

Johns' answer is the simplest way to get on the water. Most the weight is at the start of the raise, once it's up a way's it gets easier... You could still use the bridles and tie to the mast to stabilize it side to side at the start...

It is heavy though so get some young strong backs!
John K

Post by John K »

As time allows, you might be able to repair that casting by filling it in and drilling it back out. I don't know if it needs to be threaded, my setup is different. But, I'm sure you could tap it if you needed. You could use this stuff, it's awesome (I am not affiliated). http://www.alumaloy.net/
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hey Darren,

If you have three healthy adults you can raise the mast without bridles and without a gin pole.

Not easy but not hard either.

What I used to do assuming your mast hook and mast base are in good order is the following:

Make sure your aft stay and all your shrouds are properly hooked up and not snagged on anything.

Make sure you halyards are in good working order.

Add about twenty feet if rope to the wire end of the jib halyard and the main halyard. ( that is 20 feet EACH! )

Tie off the rope end at the cleat of the mast.

Slide the mast back and put the bas in the hook with the mast laying on your stern rail.

Run the "extra" rope for the jib halyard forward and starboar of the boat.
Run the "extra" rope for the main halyard forward and port of the boat.

Have a good healthy male that has had nothing to drink( beer,etc) take each of those lines and face the boat. Have them take the line around their back side such that the rop goes half way around them again, they are facing the boat.then hold the line with each hand such that the rope goes around, behind them and to the other hand. This way they can walk very slowly backwards together putting lifting power on the mast. They do not use their arems to pull. They simply walk backwards using their leg strength to pull. Do not allow them to wrap the rope around their body completely nor do you let them wrap the rope around their arms or hands. If something gives, they just let go. Have them position out in front of the boat but maybe 20 feet apart so the lifting is in a big "V" not just straight forward.

Now you get aboard, they have tension on their lines keeping the mast snugg against the hook but not trying to lift. You go to the stern of the boat and start to muscle the mast up. Lift as high as you safely can while they pull. You walk forward continuing to lift and keeping the mast straight as they pull. You must guide them so they pull evenly. Don't allow one to pull faster or harder than the other or the mast will swing left or right. The highr the mast goes the less effort on your part. Soon it will be out of your hands and up!

If your aft stay is properly hooked up and the shrouds are properly hooked up the mast will not fall forward!

Make sure the boat is blocked properly so that it will not flip back on the trailer!

do this on as flat and level ground as possible.

Once you have done this it gets easier and is not to intimidating.

Oposite process going down. I've done it many times. A mast hinge really helps too.

Takes a lot of room and don't forget to look up! Power wires will get you!

Scott
Guster

Post by Guster »

70's Barnett Butterfly "Blue Jean"
1976 C-22
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Scott hit it right but in my case with a C-26 I have done it but I needed a 4th on the cabin top and then we had 2 on the cabin top.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

You could just drill a 5/8 jole in the front of your mast, a couple of inches above the show, and below the hole where you wiring comes out, then use your boom as before.

Th hole/pin/boom is just a big lever to change the pull of the rope into a lift of the mast. The pin just keeps the boom from slipping off, it's under compression force as you start to raise it, There shouldn't be any side load at all. This assumes you have the bridles, and I use 4 ratchet straps to support the boom and mast side to side.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

All good advice, I would go with N41EF (just drill another hole) but you could wild over what is missing, to repair the hole. Most of the time when it comes to put in or take out there is no one to help. So I do it solo, 91 year old Mother, wants to help but I say it would be better if I did it my self.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

So Darren,

What did you do???
DiverDarren

Post by DiverDarren »

Thanks everyone for all the tips! My weekend was saved because of them.

My solution to get me through the weekend was to use a 4x6 and wedge it between the hatch and the base of the mast. Then I connected the forestay to the top of the 4x6 and used my a 3 part block to hoist the mast. I was able to to do it myself but the mast had a tendency to swing from prt to strb. I will have to figure out a way to stop that in the future.

This was "Float On" up at Put In Bay last weekend. It has been at least 7 years since she has been on the water!

Thanks again for all the help with the restoration
Darren
1984 Siren 17
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

No that can not be the same boat. Great job, vary nice, another C-22's new life begins.
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

I can't believe this guy! Rome wasn't built in a day, but if DiverDarren was around, a month or two would not have been out of the question. Nice boat DD!
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

To keep the mast from swinging side to side, make a set of briddles and use 4 ratchet straps to secure the mast side to side and boom side to side. It allows one person to raise and lower the mast without the trauma.

A mast hinge also helps, with a hinge and the briddles it's kind of a non-event.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
John K

Post by John K »

I think you should have left the graffiti on the side. It added so much character (just kidding). :-)
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I agree with N42EF. See the mast stepping instructions in the document section but replace the ropes from the bridles to the boom and mast with ratcheting straps.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

She's a peach, Darren. Great job!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

Here's an easy fix. I bent a piece of stainless strap and secured it to the mast base. A step by step is available on my Webshots page. My base looked as bad as yours.

http://sports.webshots.com/album/575636976NwfGbz

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/