First Sail for SWMBO, mostly non-eventfull

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
N41EF

First Sail for SWMBO, mostly non-eventfull

Post by N41EF »

78 degrees, winds 5 to 10 knotts, I put the boat in the water this morning and she met me at the dock when she got off work at 2pm. We spent 2 hours going north up lake into a NE wind, no tacking required minimizing the workload. We stayed relatively close to shore to look at houses and such, then turned for the boat ramp Almost directly down wind made it back in about 50 minutes. She had a great time, but said the water wasn't as nice as when we did the cup boat in St Martin. We stayed between 3.5 and 5 going, and 4.0 and 6.2 coming home. I did hear the humming of the keel cable, I put the keel down 15 turns and didn't hear any banging, though I know I have side to side play in my keel.

The Good:
The boat didn't leak a drop, my new shiney stainlesss keel brackets and the 5200 did a great job. My billge pump is dead weight, but is there for insurance. The new main sail from The Sail Warehouse worked great, fit great. The electrical stuff I've installed so far worked flawlessly.

The Bad:
My boat naturaly sits too far back on the trailer, I have lmost no weight on the tounge which made for an interesting tow experience. Goiing was fine because I had loaded from the blocks and had the boat forward. Coming back I had alot of swaying, way too much. I think I will try moving the axel back on the springs about 1/2 inch, maybe 3/4, and will buy a spare tire carrier to carry a spare on the upright. Looking for more ideas there too.

Next on the agenda:
Finish the electrical
finish replaceing the burlap in the v-berth, already did the center sections.
Rethinking my rear mast support attached to the engine mount.
Need to get the cushon covers to fit better.
Need to compound/was topside, the hull looks great.
Mount fire extinguisher
I need tunes, got to think that one through.
Make a replacement table top. mine is rotted.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sounds like you had great day!
congrats!

Scott
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

On my C-20 an Mac. 25, that sit on bunks on the trailer. If using a steep ramp, the boat sets farther back. On my C-20 I take the out board off when trailing, an on my Mac. 25 I take the out board an rudder off the boat when trailering.
John K

Post by John K »

Excellent! :D
1977 C22: Dog House
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Good news!

Have to admit I had to google what SWMBO meant...
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Have to admit I had to google what SWMBO meant...
Billy, I had to look that one up too... and I'm glad I did :D

Chuck, Glad all went well. My first sail in the 20 was Sunday. Aside from having sweep out a lot of raccoon poop from winter storage and bringing the mast down again and to re-hookup the side stays to their correct position while at the launch, all was great! Gawd, I love my 20! "brought along six people, one large, one medium cooler and a picnic basket the size of which, would make Yogi Bear swoon..." Those old Chryslers are real boats!
:D
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann