C-26 swing cabel changed from in side boat

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Chrysler20%26

C-26 swing cabel changed from in side boat

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I found a photo of hole a guy made to change the cable from inside the C-26 http://www.flickr.com/photos/93952888@N00/ ( photo set 14 ) an many photos of other repairs. Good work this guy knows his stuff (Thank You sauerleigh)
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Chrysler 20%26

You are quiet right Sauerleigh knows his stuff; he has fielded many a question from me on a number of topics. To date however I still don't have the nerve or the skill and happily the need to rip into my project as deeply as he has his (knock on wood... or in our case fiberglass). Personally with my limited skills changing out the keel cable will need to wait until she's off the trailer. I would however like to know the size and where to find the small through hull fitting for the keel cable; while I'm there I'll change it out too.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

The thru hull fitting is a nylon unit about 3 1/2" long overall, flange about 2 1/8" dia., threaded 1"-14 straight pipe thread and the barbed end is for a 3/4" hose. The cable had cut a groove about 3/32" where it had exited the fitting. The hull on my boat was actually threaded for the fitting. The photo shows one of the voids in the fiberglass layup in this area of the hull and all four sides of the cut out have some kind of void and not always on the same layer. The first 1/8" of glass is tight and uniform, subsequent layers not so. I can see a situation where water might wick its way up the threads and out some distance from the fitting. You can seal around the locking nut all you want but it would not stop this possible problem.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Thanks, Sauerleigh as par for the course you are right on the money.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Sauerleigh, I have ben enjoying your photos an learning a lot. you have a vary interesting life, thank you for sharing. I wont be cutting holes in my C-26 to change the cable. But after looking at your photo, I know that there is not a lot of Clarence. Could be that we over crank the keel up to fare an damage the trunk, causing a leak. Thank You