Another Sailboat What ???

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Chrysler20%26

Another Sailboat What ???

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fun-and- ... 4d0068f6a8 Has any one seen a boat like this. Not a Chrysler But it looks good, an only 70 miles from my house. An I have the cash on hand, I need some help on this have a look, need feed back.
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

Lugers were kit boats assembled by the purchaser. Supposedly heavily built and good quality although not the prettiest. It all comes down to the a abilities and attitude of the builder as far as the finished product.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
David Anthony

Post by David Anthony »

It doesn't look very beamy and by the pics seems hard chined. Sail it before you buy.
John K

Post by John K »

It appears to have a LOT of freeboard, much like the infamous Bayliner Buccaneer (not to be confused with the venerable Chrysler Buccaneer). The Bayliners, because of that freeboard, are almost impossible to get across the wind. You almost lose steerage with every tack. It would be a hell of a "water Winnebego" though.
1977 C22: Dog House
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Chrysler 20%26

How well it will sail I haven't a clue... but it sure does look nice. Do what makes you happy, but you did remind me one time about the pit falls of having to many boats. :shock:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Thank You, I know I could find good advice on this forum. I may take a rode trip, a kit boat would need a hands on look over. May find some way to lower price. An take pitchers, it is not in water, so I wont get to sail it. But will find out more about it. I will keep you all posted. Please keep comments coming THANK YOU
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

You are getting into the relm of getting a survey.
Watch for soft spots in the fiber glass, loose or leaky stanchions, etc.
If there are any deck vents, run your hand inside the hole in the deck feeling for flaking fiberglass. That indicate possible hard impact on the hull and more closely looking is needed. Get a rag of any sort, run the rag up and down each standing rigging wire. For stay, aft stay, etc. Any snagging of the rag indicates that wire needs replacing. Do not do this bare handed. You can slice your hand wide open. Check the running rigging. Stiff dry ropes indicate lack of use. The boat has been sitting and may be more negotiable. Check the obvious electrical. Most boats have SOMETHING not working. Great negotiation points. Check the sails. If they feel like stiff plastic and are very crinkly they are likely in good shape. If they are soft and subtle like an old well worn pair of jeans they are near end of life. Visually check the trailer for any obvious serious rust issues. Lights and wiring on a trailer generally don't work and are an easy fix. Shhhh! Don't tell the seller! It is yet another negotiation point. A running outboard does not mean a good running outboard. You probably won't be able to but if you can run the outboard under load it will give you a good sense of if it will push the boat. I have purchased excellent running outboards only to find they died under load. If you can run it put it in and out of gear to at least confirm that works.

I'm not familiar with the Luger but she looks quite narrow for a 30' boat. Something like 8' MAX width is my guess. This will make for a ticklish ride. High freeboard will help her as she lays over beating to wind but I bet she will heal nicely with 10 kts of wind and full sail. That would explain the shorter mast. Not a complaint, just a thought.

Look her over carefully before any commitments. I do recommend a survey if you have not been around sailboats for a while.

Best of luck and keep us updated!!
Scott
John K

Post by John K »

1977 C22: Dog House
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Well,

Never heard of a luger but it does remind me of a bayliner buccaneer. I agree with John Ks' link but only because I've seen those type boats sail... They are more for floating and relaxing and spending money on than sailing. I'd bet the C-22 has better standing rigging and will, no doubt sail circles around this boat...

As far as asking anybody here if you can have toooo many sailing vessels,,, well obviously I wouldn't listen ro Capt Scott or EE!! But then, we're looking at an Islander 28 also... So my opinion is mud too :roll:
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Thank You All, I will not be bidding on it. As the man said, don't walk away from it RUN Away From It
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

One of the first boats I sailed on was a Luger. My friends Dad had built it. Neat little boat but it was a 20 footer. I think it came as a kit. Everything came as a kit houses from Sears, Radios from Heathkit and Fiberglass bodies for kit cars. Today my kid can't assemble a sandwich. Oh well showing my age.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

:( Bingo :(
C-26
Hunter 29.5