Mounting location for new compass?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mounting location for new compass?

Post by Capt. Bondo »

H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Nice looking compass!

Before you mount it in the Bulkhead, Picture yourself sitting in the cockpit, crew at the helm and you sitting with your back to the wind leaning up against the aft end of the coach top. Now picture the same with that compass in the center of your back! LOL!

I only know this from experience on one of my previous C22's. Just moving the silly compass a few inches one way or the other just might allow you to sit much more comfortably! 8 )

You know the normal drill, watch for electrical wires as they create a magnetic field, watch for metal, etc.

Let us know how it works for ya!

Scott
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Scott is right on! I plan to mount mine the way Jeff did on Windward. Specially made removable lower hatch board with a little plug for the light. It's the perfect solution for me since I rarely need it. I love having both sides of the boat to rest our backs on.
Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

It may sound strange but I mounted my compass in the bulkhead between the setee and the v-berth. As close to the mast step and the centerline of the boat. My reasoning is to keep it out of the cockpit and I can't remember sailing with the companionway boards in place, so. I think it will be wonderful. But time will tell.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Mine is starboard of the companionway as that is where it was but if I had to do it over I would mount to starboard high and as close to hatch boards as I could for the reason Scott already mentioned the ultimate for my boat since I have a wheel would be on top of the pedestal but the $$$ are stopping that.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Bondo...here is my compass mount solution....I put it there because that is where the PO mounted his before...there is also a posting on the forum of someone making the fairing mounting block out of Corian...here are links to my 3 videos...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RTIOlR_ ... ature=plcp and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiKiWf7O ... ure=relmfu and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-LRAseS ... ure=relmfu sorry they are so long and involved.
Bill
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Nice work Bill! I watched your other videos too. Now I can tackle my port lights. I've been scared to start them.
Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
DiverDarren

Great videos

Post by DiverDarren »

I also watched the other videos, The rudder bearing video is exactly what I`ve been looking for, Thanks!
Darren
1984 Siren 17
"The Ocean weeds out, from all the races of mankind that come upon it to make a living, a certain type of person. This type of person stays with the ocean, and the rest are cast back ashore to deal with the land people."
queenannesrevenge

Post by queenannesrevenge »

I've been considering mounting my compass in the center of the lowest companionway board but that may be a dangerous spot since it would be necessary to step over the board to enter the cabin. I'm still mulling it over in my mind before I break out any power tools.
Chrysler 22 Queen Anne's Revenge
Chrysler 22 unnamed
http://photobucket.com/kurtspicsandsuchTheterribleTeach
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Diver Darren...please be aware that the bearing that I show in my video is larger in outside diameter, requiring enlarging the hole in bottom hull. I neglected stating that in the drawing that I did. The drawing is available in the Documents section.
Bill