Rebuilding Rudder on my C22

Post All Rudder and Related Topics Here
N41EF

Rebuilding Rudder on my C22

Post by N41EF »

So I took the rudder off the boat to sand and paint and after reading a post about C26 rudders it got me wondering if the C22 is suppossed to have a spacer on it. I noticed the C26 has a one inch spacer below the mushroom bearing on the shaft did the C22 have one too?

On the front of the rudder cheeks there are 4 screws like something is suppossed to be there, but there is nothing, what goes there, some sort of fairing?

Have you guys put anything on the back/top of the rudder blade to keep it from being munched when the engine s down and running? I was also thinking about something to keep it from getting damaged if the blade swung down and hit the concrete.

What size rubber hose connects the upper/lower mount on a C22?

Trying hard to go sailing this Sunday.

Thanks!
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

My rudder post didn't even have the mushroom bearing on the bottom so I can't help you with that, but my rudder cheeks did have an aluminum nose that was attached to the front with screws. It seems that it was supposed to give a fair leading edge to the rudder cheeks to help cut through the water.

The rubber tube on my boat is approx. 1 13/16 inch inside diameter...15 inches long and almost1/4 inch wall thickness. Like a very heavy duty radiator hose...but rough on the outside surface.

You could probably fabricate a leading edge nose for yours from some nylon stock.
Bill
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

The plans available on our site show the leading edge fairing made out of wood and screwed to the front of the rudder. Could easily be make of plastic or nylon to avoid water damaging it.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
steve Souter

Post by steve Souter »

The leading edge fairing from the factory was made of aluminum and stopped water from getting into the cockpit via the tiller post when running down wind with the spinnaker up and excceding the hull speed.
I made one out of pressure treated wood and glued into place.
FLASH
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I have posted a short video of the OEM rudder nose fairing piece on my YouTube channel...here is the link...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO5s-cB_ ... e=youtu.be
Bill