furler

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
David Anthony

furler

Post by David Anthony »

I have asked Santa to bring me a jib furler for Christmas. I am considering either CDI or Hood. Anyone have experience with either?
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I have the Hood Sea flex that I got from Defender only because I know they have them west doesn't I like it very much and have also learned the advantage of an open drum especially when single handing as if you get a tangle or jam in the drum you can clear it in short order and the furler works well on my 26. By the way where in Central NY I am south of Albany.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
David Anthony

Post by David Anthony »

I sail mainly on Lake Oneida located between Syracuse to the west and Utica to the East. Lake is about 21mi. long and 5mi. wide at the widest point. Prevailing west wind makes for a lot of digging to windward. The lake gets pretty rough fast and single handing can be a challange at times that's why a furler is on my Christmas list. I'm 60 yrs. young and have been sailing for over 40 yrs. Had a McGregor 21 for years then saw this C22 for sail and had to buy it, it's twice the boat.
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

We have a CDI FF2 furler on the C-22. It was on the boat when we purchased it. Although we have had no problems with it, I think I would prefer the Hood. The CDI doesn't allow as easy of headsail changes, as the halyard is built in to the system and requires a tag line attached to drop the sail. The Hood uses the boats halyard and has a swiveling halyard attachment. It may just be the racer in me talking there! :lol: Aside from that 1 complaint which is not a flaw, just a design decision, it has been flawless. I understand that there is less problems with halyard wraps with the CDI systems built in halyard.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

with my hood as long as when you get the sail hoisted make sure it is the Halyard is evenly spaced as mine the block at the masthead is forward of the head stay and rotates so when sail is hoisted I make sure the block is fore and aft and the part coming down the mast is aft I have never had any problem with halyard wrap they also say you can put a short piece of 1/2" PVC at the top of the head sail to avoid it also raise the sail to the top and use a line at the tack for luff tension the other difference that made me got to the Sea Flex was it was $100.00 cheaper and I am 100% satisfied.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/